• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS '68 to '66 wiring "translation"

66hcs-conv

In a recent post from Neil (franklinair), gave directions for putting 12V to the coil + at all times. Thank you Neil.

I would like to do that modification to our '66. In looking at the schematic for the '66 I cannot find a Black/Red wire (#140).

Looks to me that the wire Neil is referring to is for the neutral switch for a '68 automatic car.

And in looking at the '66 wiring diagram that wire is #32 and it is red with a blue stripe.

Would it be possible for someone to verify my findings, so that Neil's modification (for a 1966 car) would be a jumper from the red/green (#16) wire to the red/blue (#32) ?

Thanks, I appreciate your help. Dave

franklinair

If I'm reading the '66 wiring diagram correctly, the '66 is wired differently than the '68's.
The red/blue stripe wire #32 gets 12V thru the neutral/safety switch only when the ignition switch is in the START position. This can be verified with a volt meter or test light.
The '66 diagram for exterior lites DOES show a wire #140 going thru the neutral/safety switch feeding the back-up lites, but I don't know where that connector is located on a '66.

Neil

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

If I'm reading the '66 wiring diagram correctly, the '66 is wired differently than the '68's.
The red/blue stripe wire #32 gets 12V thru the neutral/safety switch only when the ignition switch is in the START position. This can be verified with a volt meter or test light.
The '66 diagram for exterior lites DOES show a wire #140 going thru the neutral/safety switch feeding the back-up lites, but I don't know where that connector is located on a '66.

Neil

Thanks Neil.

My old shop manual doesn't have the back up lights, but I found them using a web site diagram. I'll check out the wiring.

Dave