• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Correct engine color?

somethingspecial

I just picked up my GT 390 From the engine builder, and it is gorgeous!! But the color is more the medium ford blue. I have seen some engines painted this color, but I have also seen many the Dark Ford blue. Mostly 428 cars were the dark blue. Does anyone know what color is correct for a San Jose built, GT 390, GT/CS? I want it correct for concours judging. MCA Concours rules show "Ford Corporate Blue", What is Ford Corp. Blue? Does anyone have a Paint Code? Since it's out of the car now, NOW is the time to change it if I have to. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

68gt390

Mike;
The folks here in Columbus at KAR have told me that Dark Ford Blue was correct for 68. They recommended Dupli-Color Ford Dark Blue DE1606. I was able to pick it up at Advance Auto here in Columbus. Hope this helps.

Don

twoclassics

engine

Bill from Mansfield Mustangs says Krylon ford blue is what he uses on all his engine parts, could be the same color, I do know 1 thing, this guy knows his mustangs,, Chuck

6t8-390gt

In previous Resto Roundups Bob Perkins has recommended Ditzler 13358 w/ 25-30% flattener. I used this paint w/ about 15% flattener and think my engine borders on too glossy (my opinion).

He has also recommended the following paints:

Red Primer Ditzler DP-74
Low Gloss Black DDL 9423 or Krylon 1613

I used Centari N8079A on my axle housing and other misc. brackets.

Good Luck

ViCatz

Beginning 1966 ALL Ford car and truck engines were paint FORD Corporate Blue which is a dark Blue.
Many get the wrong blue cause parts stores ell "OLD Ford Blue" which is actually for pre 66 cars on some covers.
Pre 66 valve cover colour indicated displacement as well as model line.
An excellant book on this is Bob Mannels Small Block Ford.
The proper colour is closer to Tremclad Blue than to OLD Ford Blue which is too lite and often incorrectly used as post 66 engine colour.
If going for concourse note that the exhaust manifolds were in place as was the rubber hose to water pump on FE.
This means that the edges and bolts of exhaust were oversprayed and that the hose also was painted blue from factory.
It is also known that Ford did not thouroughly paint these engines that there were bare areas as the engines were painted downward many areas were in shadow and did not recieve paint.
This is same for engine bay.
The steeing linkages were painted downward and therefore no paint made it to bottom of steering linkages.
Its common to over restore these areas.

J_Speegle

You can often find variations in the engine parts (painted at the suppliers not at the car or engine plants) and variations between plants such as Windsor and the FE plants. IMHO as long as the judge looks at it and does not immediately identify it as the wrong color you will be fine.

The steering linkages were painted downward and therefore no paint made it to bottom of steering linkages.
Its common to over restore these areas.

Don't know where you came up with that "fact"

Steering linkage was installed after all painted was completed (second half of the build) so there would be no paint on it what so ever. At best we can find some examples where overspray of sound deadener got on some of the outer tie rods but only because that was applied after fenders were installed.

All steering linkage should be restored to look like bare heat treated steel. Organizations like MCA do allow cars in some classes to paint these parts but the paint must look like the original bare metal finish when done. Identification and inspector marks were applied with brushes or spray in these areas but were applied where the parts were made not at the Ford car assembly plant

BroadwayBlue

Bringing this thread alive again with some questions on paint color for the engine. I wanted to touch up a few spots on my 289's engine and bought the Plastikote Ford Blue #224 Engine Enamel.

It's definitely darker than the blue on my 289 and I'm pretty sure it's probably darker than my 302 as well but need to do a side by side comparison to confirm the 302 still.

How common (see Jeff's post) was it for engines to be painted different shades from different factories?

My 289 I know was from Ontario - I don't recall the 302 engine's build plant at this time.

I think I'm going to go buy the Old Ford Blue #205 color and see if that matches. I don't want to paint the whole engine now since I'm not pulling it just want to touch up a few spots. I'll see if that is a better match.

I guess it's possible the engine was painted the lighter color at some point over the last 40 or so years. It doesn't seem like it but maybe it is. And if the 302 doesn't match either than it's common I guess for people to use the wrong blue.

I'll let you know if the Old Ford Blue #205 matches or not.

Any thoughts on this?

ViCatz

Save your $$. Old Ford Blue is not what you want.
There is no colour that is identical.
Paint changes colour over years with heat oil etc.
Blend your paint as is.
Try other FORD Blues or Corporate Ford Blue or Dark Ford Blue.
Tremclad Blue is also a choice.
Windsor engines were built in of all places, Windsor Ontario.
All were painted Corporate Ford Blue from 66 on.

franklinair

When I was restoring & showing cars (local & MCA) I used the Plastikote Ford Blue 224. I never had the color correctness questioned or points deducted for this color.
As for painting detail, I never subscribed to the theory of allowing overspray or holidays to try to compensate for factory shortcomings during manufacture. I believed in duplicating the original appearance/color, but in a professional, crisp application. It just looks better.
Neil Hoppe

BroadwayBlue

OK here is the latest...

The Plastikote Ford Blue #224 was a real close match to my 302.

After comparing the 2 engines, the 302 is the darker, correct color.

The 289 on the other hand is definitely lighter and it's definitley not the Old Ford Blue #205. I spent the $6 at the local auto parts store to try it out.

I'm not sure what was used on my 289. I'm assuming it was painted at some point along the way but not with the #224 or 205 color.

So now need to decide what I'm going to do.
1. Leave it as is with some bad spots showing (The 289 is a lot more noticeable because there is no A/C. The 302 doesn't show as much of the blue.)
2. Try to find a better match
3. Paint the whole thing with #224 (need to think about that one)

Thanks everyone for your input!