• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Stock 289 Exhaust manifolds

retroman99

I have a question on the configuration of the exhaust manifolds. my search for a date correct set continues. I keep seeing sets with little notches machined next to the exhaust ports which I assume is for the smog ports. if my car did not have the smog equipment should I be searching for ones without this clearance. it seems every set I find with a late 67 or very early 68 all have this clearance. any help would be appreciatted

gtcs1

If I can help, Do you have picture of these notches. I could compare with my car, with a 289, that didn’t have smog.

gtcs1

Mosesatm

It's my understanding that starting in 1966 all small block heads had the notches.

OP
OP
R

retroman99

If I can help, Do you have picture of these notches. I could compare with my car, with a 289, that didn’t have smog.

gtcs1

see the attached picture with the clearances circled in red

Attachments

• exhaust manifold notches2.jpg
    exhaust manifold notches2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 53

CougarCJ

The intent of the notches was for the thermactor smog system. I find them on non smog engines too. It is getting tough to find a pit free, set of exhaust manifolds.

gtcs1

see the attached picture with the clearances circled in red

Checked my car, 289 auto, all original, built in april, those clearances notches are present on both sides, exactly as you show them. I can see them from the top, FWD of the port on the LH side and AFT of the ports on the RH side,

gtcs1

robert campbell

I have two early manifolds without notches if you want them. Free and you pay for shipping.

Rob

OP
OP
R

retroman99

I have two early manifolds without notches if you want them. Free and you pay for shipping.

Rob

Rob that is a great offer thank you. I like the idea of no notches as it seems it would allow for more surface area around the port and less prone to leaks. ill send you a PM
thank you Brad