• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

07 GT Wheels on my GT/CS?

AADaddy

OK, so I'm in the middle of installing a Global West Dual Adjustable kit on my GT/CS. I took the front drum brakes off and started thinking it might be a good idea to convert my car to front disc while I have it all apart. The car I got came with a crusty pair of Cragar SS wheels that seem to small to fit just about any upgraded disc kit. So I really can't re-use the wheels and really don't want to regardless. I've got a pair of 07 GT 17" wheels sitting in storage. Could I use these on the car until I find a more permanent solution for the wheels? The tire size should be 235/55-17. My intent would be to not keep them on there for the long run. Just a temporary solution.

joedls

I think the backspacing is all wrong. I'm pretty sure they won't fit.

Edit: I just looked it up. On a 17" x 8" wheel, the backspacing from the factory is 6.295". For the 68, you would want to run 4.5" of backspacing for that wheel, if I recall correctly.

OP
OP
A

AADaddy

I was thinking this might be the case. What about if I used spacers? I really don't want to use spacers but would consider it since this would only be a temporary solution.

di81977

When I bought my '68 convertible it had 18" Foose wheels with 1 1/2" spacers. I was comfortable with them for normal, around town driving. However, I quickly replaced them with Shelby 10 spoke 15" wheels.

OP
OP
A

AADaddy

Yeah, I think I want to go with the Shelby 10 spoke in the long run. Of course, I did see some pretty cool wheels from a company called Rocket at a local performance show. Might consider those too! Mainly I want to use the bigger wheels now to get at least a 12" front rotor. I am against using a spacer as well but if it gets me around town for now that's all I need.

franklinair

I like these:

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 46

BigJim

I've got the stock 14" GT wheels on mine and had no problem upgrading the front brakes to a set of SSBC 4 piston power disc brakes. Left the factory drums in the back. The car stops like a modern car.