• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 J code cars and the Marti Report

ari guy

Here is a question that I havent found the answer yet in the forums. This may be quite obvious and if so excuse my ignorance....The bulk of 1968 GT/CS cars are 289--C code cars. Any mustang for 1968 (not just cal specials) had to be 302--J code or larger to have the GT equipment group option. In reviewing every forum member's Marti Report, 390--S codes or the one 428--R code has GT equipment group listed in the Marti Report. I havent found one report that says GT equipment group on a 302 J code car. Is this just a discreptantcy on the Marti Report, or none of the J code cars are true GT cars? I would love to hear from forum members who have J code cars. Does your car have the GT equipment group but wasnt listed on the Marti report or is it a no GT car? Thanks Doc

CougarCJ

I have a J code GT/CS. Mine does not have the GT option, not on the car nor on the Marti.

rvrtrash

Mine didn't either, although during the resto it got the heavier springs, GT rims, rear valance and dual exhaust.

Steve

classicsguy

I also used to have a J-code 4 speed GT/CS and did not have the GT equipment group.

teamlo

The GT Equipment Group was in fact available as an option on the '68 California Special/High Country Special having the J-code 302 or X-code 390 2V (required option if you chose the S-code 390 4V or R-code 428 CJ). You could get the J-code 302 or the X-code 390 engines without the GT Equipment Group as well.

Terry

Last edited:

teamlo

Forum member "limelyt" I believe has a Marti Report posted with J-code and GT Equipment Group.

Page 5 of the Marti Report "Sticky" in the Forum section, 3rd one down.

Terry

OP
OP
A

ari guy

Thanks Terry. I missed that one, ie Marti report on 'limelyt'. So far the only J code GT optioned confirmed car. The first GT/CS recognition guide (havent read in awhile) it seems like Paul guessed approximately 10% of the total production were true GT cars. If more forum members with J codes would post it would really be interesting to see a trend of what percentage of the J codes were GTs. Might help to enlighten the total GT production, or Kevin Marti may have that information already, I don't know, but I am sure someone on here does. Thanks, Doc.

TraveledGTCS

My GT/CS J code also came with the GT Equipment package also. (Marti report forum sticky page 6 item #90)

Bill

CougarCJ

I have collected the following for J code GT/CS's (thanks to Arlie?)

962 with J code 302-4V.

658 with automatic transmissions.
218 with 4 speed transmissions.
86 with 3 speed transmissions.

Russ

My J Code GT/CS did not come with the GT option. It has the 8 inch rear end, which is the easiest way to tell if your car has the GT option. J Code GT optioned cars came with the nine inch rear end. Hope this helps, Russ

aemoo28

Remember the "GT"/CS isn't quite true. Know someone with a T code 200 GT/CS.
My 289 did not come with the GT package.
We did discuss this somewhere on this forum once before... see if I can find it...
Because our cars are GT/CS it doesn't imply it is a GT.
Confused yet?

J.Bart

mine is probably a mute point.
it doesn't list it and doesn't have it, but there is no way to tell if mine was ever altered.
or should i say stolen for another car.
mine does have the equalock rear axle listed though.

BroadwayBlue

My original 302 GT/CS was not a GT optioned car either.

Amy,
In 68 a Mustang had to have a 302 engine or larger to be able to get the GT option.

I can't tell you how many times I list my car on a car show registration as a 1968 Mustang GT/CS "California Special" and it gets shortened to Mustang GT - even put into the GT class sometimes :cool: