• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New GT/CS enthusiast from NZ

CJ 56

HI Doug,

I have noticed you know alot about these cars and see you own a few Mustangs.

I have now located and purchased a GT/CS in NZ, it is a 289, Auto, floor consol, overhead consol, Factory Air, rear window defoger, 12 slots, discs, PS etc. It has a GT dash with the Tacko, all appears original with a manufacture date of 13 Feb 1968.

To me the date means it must have been one of the very first, as the first 7 build for the dealer launch on the 15th of Feb where build from the 1-10 of Feb, sunday was the 11 and monday the 12 would have been a hoilday for Lincolns birthday so the 13 was like the first day of potentialy GT/CS production although officaly the 17th was the first production day.

Have you any thoughts on this car??

CJ 56 in NZ

Hi I am new the GT/CS world, coming from a Capri background.
I am doing alot of research on GT/CS and want to know was the 68 California Special always badged GT/CS or could they be purchased as just CS.

Was the California Special ever sold with a six as a standard option.

I believe the the first prototype was a six.

I will have lots of questions over the comming months as I am hooked on these Cars.

Can anyone confirm, or copy a picture to me on what the GT exhaust looked like. I believe it was twin out each side, ( via factory cut outs in the lower panel under the bumper, these cut outs where not holes for the exhaust to go through but cut outs for the exhaust to fit under).
Where the tips of the pipes chrome and angled back towards the front of the car?

CJ 56

68sunlitgold

CJ 56,
All 68 California Specials where badged GT/CS, except of course the HCS's. None said just CS. The '67 prototype did say GT/SC.

The CS was sold with straight six, it was standard and every other engine was optional. Not sure what the prototype was, but by the pictures it did not have the GT option because of the lack of dual exhaust.

Yes the GT exhaust has the factory cut outs on each side and has twin chrome pipes on each side. Look in the gallery and I am sure you will see some there.

Doug

OP
OP
C

CJ 56

I have noticed you know alot about these cars and see you own a few Mustangs.

I have now located and purchased a GT/CS in NZ, it is a 289, Auto, floor consol, overhead consol, Factory Air, rear window defoger, 12 slots, discs, PS etc. It has a GT dash with the Tacko, all appears original with a manufacture date of 13 Feb 1968.

To me the date means it must have been one of the very first, as the first 7 build for the dealer launch on the 15th of Feb where build from the 1-10 of Feb, sunday was the 11 and monday the 12 would have been a hoilday for Lincolns birthday so the 13 was like the first day of potentialy GT/CS production although officaly the 17th was the first production day.

Have you any thoughts on this car??

CJ 56 in NZ

68sunlitgold

CJ 56,
13 Feb is an early date, but there where some built as early as Dec 67. There where also a handfull built in late Jan but most where built in the last 2 weeks of Feb. You are correct that your car is very early in the production but you would need to ask Kevin Marti where it actally falls. Good luck it sounds like a great car.
Doug