• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

i need some HCS info

68gt350

hey guys, i am a shelby owner who stumbler on this site by accident and thought it was pretty cool. i found this site because i was trying to help a friend find some info about his car. i know alot of stuff about mustangs and almost everything about shelbys but until i found this site, i didnt even know that the HCS existed. a friend of mine had asked me to help him get info and restore his car. it is a mustang coupe and when i first saw it i thought for sure it was a california special. he asked me to decode the VIN for him. while doing this i found out that it was a 67 and not a 68 so i now know that it isnt a real CS. but he got this car from his father and thought it was a CS replica, but his dad has owned the car for a little over 30 years and i know that back then it wasnt practical or cost effective for someone to build this replica. the craftsmanship around the taillights of his car is very similar to that on my shelby, which leads me to believe that it isnt an amature job, but its notperfect either, it looks like a job done by shelby or the ford factory. do you know of anything special that i could look for on the car to know if it is a HCS? if it is a HCS what would the restored value be? if anyone can tell by the VIN if it is a HCS, here it is, 7R01C211455. everything that i could decode from it matches with the little info that i know about HCS but i dont know enough to be sure, maybe someone cann tell by the production #. next time i see him i will get a picture to post for you guys too.

Mustanglvr

First, if its an original 67 High Country Special, then its not going to look anything like a 68 California Special. The 68 High Country Special and the 68 California Special are identical except for the badge on the side scoop. 68 is the only year the California Special was produced. I think to be an High Country Special it will have to have a Denver DSO. You need to get a Marti Report. There is a link on this site for that. It seems to me that someone wanted a California Special and missed the boat so they made their own out of a 67 coupe. :) Rhonda

OP
OP

68gt350

does a 67 HCS look like a regular coupe, or does it have some of the shelby trim like the CS?

19HCS68

[quote author=68gt350 link=board=1;threadid=1751;start=0#msg11139 date=1117743471]
does a 67 HCS look like a regular coupe, or does it have some of the shelby trim like the CS?
[/quote]

The 67 HCS looks like a regular coupe with badges on the front fenders, behind wheel well, near pony emblem.

OP
OP

68gt350

my shelby was an early 68 production car and it has some 67 parts on it...is it possible that an early 68 HCS could have been made from a late production 67 mustang?

19HCS68

No sir. These 68 HCS cars were only produced in June and July of 1968. I'm pretty sure of the months, but could be off give or take a month. They were produced LATE in the production run of the California Specials. So an "early version of 68 HCS" is most probably out of the question. But who knows without a Marti report? ???

meadowsdk28

[quote author=68gt350 link=board=1;threadid=1751;start=0#msg11137 date=1117738933]
while doing this i found out that it was a 67 and not a 68 so i now know that it isnt a real CS. but he got this car from his father and thought it was a CS replica,

if anyone can tell by the VIN if it is a HCS, here it is, 7R01C211455. everything that i could decode from it matches with the little info that i know about HCS but i dont know enough to be sure, maybe someone cann tell by the production #. [/quote]

I know this, it is definately not a HCS by the vin. Can you post a pic?

Mosesatm

Even though we all agree the car is not a GT/CS or HCS it might be interesting to see some of the details to see if an individual built the car or if a dealer might have built it.

For example:
How is the hood pin retainer attached to the radiator support?

Are there metal caps behind the taillights in the trunk?

Is there an unaltered Ford wiring harness leading to the taillights?

Does it have a GT/CS grille, with the foglight supports sticking out of it?

What brand of foglights does it have?

What is the diameter of the hole in the inner part of the hood?

If all those details are correct, who knows, maybe there is some strange one-off car out there that we never knew about. I doubt it but it might make for good conversation!

Oh, and one other thing, what is the build date of the car?

68sunlitgold

68gt350,
did you check all the VIN #'s, I only ask because as you are aware of if this is the info from the door, it could have been replace. I agree that a car made to look like a HCS or GT/CS 30 years ago is possible but very unlikely, especially since most of these cars could be bought with very little money 30 years ago. Make sure the VIN in the dash is the same or even check the block. Is the VIN visible in the driver front fender "cut out" (the San Jose plant's stamping tool did not line up with the cut out so you should not be able to see it unless you take off the fender).

Just my 2 cents.

Doug

OP
OP

68gt350

i will post a pic of the car as soon as i get one from my friend.

mosesatm: the taillights look almost exactly the same as the ones on my car, it is a factory untouched harness going to them. the car is somewhat in pieces so i dont know about the fog lights but i will ask the next time i see him. i dont know the build date but i will try to find out.

68sunlitgold: the vin that i have is off of the apron and matches the dash vin but i was unable to get the door open to check that one. the fender has been cut to show the whole vin. which shows that it is a san jose car.