• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Electronic ignition???

Sarge

Has anyone tried the Pertronics II ignition (the one that fits in the stock distributor cap) and the hotter coil? I am looking to pull a few more "ponies" out of my GT-CS.

I have already put in a Holley double pumper 600 CFM carb, and the Weiand Hi-Rise intake manifold, and everything is pretty sweet so far, but I hear that the electronic ignition should improve performance (and gas mileage) about 5 to 10 percent.

I don't want to go so far as to put in a hotter cam, and I have kept all of the original parts and don't want to have to do a lot of engine work to return it to "stock" condition.

Thanks,

Robert

Calspecialdreamer

Robert,

I installed one in about 25 minutes (pertronix, not the II) and it works great! You probably have to cut your wires and splice, but I got away without it. Also, make sure you gap it correctly or it will run sluggish! Found out the hard way, but what a difference after I gapped it corrrectly! Haven't noticed a HP difference, but I didn't install the coil or new wires and I'm sure that would have made a diff. Any old mustang I get in the future, that is the first mod I'm making! Well, after checking the brakes! Got mine at Virginia Mustang and they had the lowest price on them at that time. Beat the others by at least 5.00. Big money to me!

rvrtrash

The other thing you could do, is switch to early Ford electronic ignition, which is what I did on one of my cars. I bought a distributor, coil and control module at NAPA, built a seperate harness for it and it works great. I didn't notice a horsepower difference either, just smoother running and easier starts.
Steve

carvensno

When i had my CS, i used the MSD 6A and a blaster coil, then as far for the dist., go to the junk yard and use the base plate out of a 85 ford granada, then go to napa and buy the little module that goes inside the dist and the armature(the star looking thing), i did it that way, and it was awsome. i had a full eletronic ignition ;D, on cold morning, and a trip to yosemite at glacer point (7500 elev.) all i would have to do is bump the starter and the car would start right up. i spend 5.00 on the base plate for the wrecking yard, and the few items from napa i think was about no more than 30.00. acourse this was back in 1995 to. To add to this i also put on a 600cfm holley with vac secondarys, awsome power and gas milage improved a little also ;D, which i was happy since when my mom and dad had it rebuilted in 1984 my mom had a close ratio top loader put into it. ;). dont take this the wrong way, but i see the pentronics thing as doing it the easy and not the right way, but that the way i see things, so again dont it the wrong way. ;D