• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Should I charge $$ to join the GT/CS Registry?

J.Bart

you might make more money on the collectables than you would on fees?
i'll buy some.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

As MUCH as I APPRECIATE what Jon, the webmaster has done, I just wanted to point out a couple of things....

He makes money from this site, from people that hit on the ads you see on the left column.

The GT/CS History and other details were provided by myself, under a special agreement between Jon and myself. I provided this at no charge to Jon.

I should add that Jon has been good enough to provide my with (huge!) printouts from cars that have been registered here, for my registry. I very much appreciate his effort in doing that for me!!

Paul N.

Mosesatm

As MUCH as I APPRECIATE what Jon, the webmaster has done, I just wanted to point out a couple of things....

He makes money from this site, from people that hit on the ads you see on the left column.

The GT/CS History and other details were provided by myself, under a special agreement between Jon and myself. I provided this at no charge to Jon.

I should add that Jon has been good enough to provide my with (huge!) printouts from cars that have been registered here, for my registry. I very much appreciate his effort in doing that for me!!

Paul N.

Paul where are you going with this? What's the point?

You're correct in that Jon does make money from this site, but so what? I don't know if he makes much of a profit but that is none of our business. He deserves every dollar he earns from the site. He puts a lot of time and money into the site, and he is a great administrator and moderator. We are damn lucky to have him.

GTCS95616

Even in organizations that are not-for-profit, the administrative staff gets paid for their time and effort. Sometimes not a lot, but they do get paid. I think that Paul's proposal to charge for new entries into the registery is a very minimal charge and for those who are already registered, the a fee for decal and other registry items would be minimal and on a per request basis.

Support the the man that has supported all of you folks and your GT/CS forum.

John McGilvary

Paul where are you going with this? What's the point?

You're correct in that Jon does make money from this site, but so what? I don't know if he makes much of a profit but that is none of our business. He deserves every dollar he earns from the site. He puts a lot of time and money into the site, and he is a great administrator and moderator. We are damn lucky to have him.

I agree with what you are saying, Arlie.

Thanks Jon, keep up the good work.

John

Midnight Special

Paul N.

...Yes. I'd like to know where you're going with this too. Seems like your book should be called "The Paul Newitt Recognition Guide" written with information provided by GT/CS enthusiasts and californiaspecial.com.

When it gets down to shared knowledge, fellowship and brilliant (no cost to us) execution - Jon's efforts speak for themselves!...and have for a long time.

Last edited:

skipcad

Pocket change

Paul,
For everything you've done, I'd pay the $25.00 fee. I spend more that on that on food eating out for one day, so it's small potatoes. Thanks for the new GT/CS late model sticker,it looks great, and I appreciate the effort it took to develop it. I would say, however, I understand how the hobby is becoming like work, so I'm not surprised you're thinking of stepping aside. Either way, you're a blessing to the whole CS program, and I certainly appreciate everything you're doing for us. There will always be a few folks who read too much into the whole point, so don't let it discourage you.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Paul,
For everything you've done, I'd pay the $25.00 fee. I spend more that on that on food eating out for one day, so it's small potatoes. Thanks for the new GT/CS late model sticker,it looks great, and I appreciate the effort it took to develop it. I would say, however, I understand how the hobby is becoming like work, so I'm not surprised you're thinking of stepping aside. Either way, you're a blessing to the whole CS program, and I certainly appreciate everything you're doing for us. There will always be a few folks who read too much into the whole point, so don't let it discourage you.

Hi--and thanks for the support.

Like I said earlier here....I'm not going to charge for joining. I'll make it up through other items. I ran that by the licensing folks at Ford today, and they are great about adding things as I wish to make and sell them. Who knows? there could be a whole line of items--as soon as I get the book done (I'm trying for the end of Sept.). I really want to make neat things especially for the late model owners. All 14,000 of them!!

For example, just today, I sorted all 150-plus Marti Reports that I have in VIN order, to go over later....then I organized all the mail I have with loose ends about ownership and other info that I need to write those folks about. Then there are some beautiful photos that I want to use sent in from owners, too. But when I get mail, I need to sort it our according to what it is...Marti, or an order, or survey answers, etc... So, it's not easy. Lots of filing and paperwork. I have SIX file cabinets full of GT/CS Registry info and book research material.

Just to make sure...I want to again say how much I appreciate Jon for his work. Some of it is profit, but I know that it has to be a labor of love on his part, because the income from this site probably doesn't pay for all of the time he spends on it. Jon is a great guy, and as many of you have said--he has made a lot of what the GT/CS interest is today.

Thanks for your support....
Paul N.

2007texasgtcs

this is a great idea, I would jump all over it for that price. Besides we are paying 10.00 for the decal anyway so it would just be another 15.00, I could go without beer for a couple of days. (I think.)

QuarterHorse

Hi--and thanks for the support.

Like I said earlier here....I'm not going to charge for joining. I'll make it up through other items. I ran that by the licensing folks at Ford today, and they are great about adding things as I wish to make and sell them. Who knows? there could be a whole line of items--as soon as I get the book done (I'm trying for the end of Sept.). I really want to make neat things especially for the late model owners. All 14,000 of them!!

Paul:

I think this is the way to go. You certainly wouldn't want to discourage anyone from registering their car because a fee is involved. However, I do look forward to seeing and purchasing the GT/CS items you plan to produce. This is an excellent idea. I hope you will gather some ideas for products from GT/CS owners.

CougarCJ

I also think that charging a fee to enroll is going to hurt your submissions.

I submit door data plate information to 6 different registries. I do this because I enjoy being able to 'account for one more'.
Everyone's individual registry is a labor of love, and each and every registrar is very thankful and appreciative that I and so many others of us out there continue to submit the VIN's dead or alive.

Here are some of the dead ones. 1967-1973 Cougar.
VINtags.jpg

robert campbell

Wow,
I have been in summer mode and spending all my time at our lake property and little time on the site. This thread kinda stunned me. I hesitate to make the comparison, but it reminds me a bit of the SAAC and Carroll Shelby feud. Who owns history? Who owns information? This site alone has been a huge source of history via its membership, and no one owns it. In the case of the SAAC guys it appeared to me that they felt they “owned” all that was Shelby just because they added to what was given to them by Carroll. That said here is my one-cent on all of this.

First and foremost I feel a depth of gratitude for Paul and his earliest efforts to collect all that there is GT/CS. To pursue to the ends all he could get and then to publish two books on the subject. To give us so much knowledge. Maybe someone else would have done this. I bet eventually someone would have, but by that time much of the information may have been lost. We owe Paul a lot for all he dug up

Second this site!! Paul has benefited so much from the information we all have contributed. And I have seen people like Casey and others purchase stuff and donate it. All for a great cause. To allow Jon some dollars back for this sites maintenance is the least all of us could do. I hope he can expand his advertising and make a few bucks for his efforts. But it is the people on the site. I love the information I get and helping other people. I am not a concurs guy, so it helps me, and I hope that I have helped other people run down some solutions to problems.

At this point in time information is out there and maybe someone else can carry the torch. At the same time Paul has dug up even more. I for one am very interested in his new book and will purchase one. Charging for the registry may turn people off. For the most part it did not in the case of the SAAC registry.

For me having a site to share Mustang and Ford stuff is the most fun. To bench race and swap ideas. To help each other. I would hate to lose that. Guess there are other sites, but I love this one. We seem to be more common folk than Shelby or….. Corvette owners….. More down to earth, nicer, and more helpful

All said, if the task is to big, I agree with splitting up some of the duties. To share the load. Paul has carried the torch for a long time. We are also seeing the strain of the new book on Paul. Lots going on we do not see. Paul, I hope you carry this through. You have spent too much time to give up, but as with most things in life the only satisfaction is the man (or woman) in the mirror. This is a labor of your love and you will never be repaid in full.

Paul, whatever happens, your name will always be synonymous with the GT/CS. Nothing will change that. I hope that will always be enough.

Rob

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Hi Robert...

Thank you for the thoughtful words. I greatly appreciate it.

Paul N.

rananim

Good Grief! I am surprised at all the venom this subject has brought out and how it seems to have migrated into a contest between the site and the registery. I appreciate both and am particularly glad to see Paul's regular contribution to the site with information and the help he has given me, individually. I'm still trying to figure out the outrage at the $25 fee for registrations (future ones at that); is it the money or principle? As much as I believe in doing something for the "love of it," I also believe that there should be some sort of compensation for hard work that is well beyond that notion. The books will help tell the story of our cars (and possible value), but I don't think that they will make Paul any money - there just aren't enough potential buyers. If being in the registery isn't worth anything, why would we go to the trouble of sending in the information; I know it isn't to help Paul out! I will be glad to fork over the $25, despite being grandfathered in. Put a pry bar on those wallets!
Sven

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Thanks for the support and appreciation, Sven! BTW-- I used to live near Poway many years ago...and went to Palomar for a few art classes.

I will make some money on the book, once I get over the production and money hump. I'm about $8K short for the printing, and just paid out $2,500 for liability ins. for the Ford License...

That's why I'm having to sell my CS....in the $35-45K range., to pay for the book, which I thought a lot more people would pre-order (no reflection against those who have pre-ordered, and have added a book or two--which I greatly appreciate!!!). I'm right now working on one more flier to promote the book, the decals (incl. 2008 CS), and a book update and final payment ($50) time frame info.

I have a plan for the late model GT/CS cars' registration...which I think people will like, and it might cost a couple bucks..

This will work out somehow...very soon. I am amidst very appreciative owners and enthusiasts.

Paul N.

patty.dilabio

Wake up Please!!!

Hi to all on this subject.Just a few things to point out to some people who have contributed.The time and devotion it takes to be a registrar is a huge commitment.Never did anyone dream of the popularity that collector cars have now generated.That being said without clubs-enthusiasts-registries,and a method to keep track or keep it all organized,the hobbie will become victimized by greedy folks who are simply in the money end of it-clones and tribute cars would be way to easy to create,and the histoic end would become ignored.Part of the club slogan in the Shelby American Club is Preservation.We all owe Paul for his constant effort in this direction.Just as Shelby owes the club and every registrar for this vital thing--Preserving history--not distorting it.The recent conflict between SAAC-S.A.I.Licensing has been resolved and as with several other Shelby conflicts has now a new place in history.We need to support people now more than ever that continue to do good work.Paul has constantly been the pioneer for the California Special,as all his books speak for themselves.If he is to have a fault it is being considerate enough to ask opinions prior to simply making it happen.Think back on all the options and choices he has put before you.Each one takes time,and dedication.And nobody else to date has done more to get the input (be it good or bad)on these cars,a Huge THANKS PAUL!!! and all who enjoy the hobbie.
Regards Anthony:smile:

aemoo28

Paul, I would do whatever it takes to keep you in charge of the CS registry. If it means paying you a small fee for your time, that is something I would do. I like the idea of a welcome package which includes a plaque or sticker for new registers.

I've experienced first hand your dedication and passion for this forum and its members, and support you in every way. You've been doing this a long time; you've put in many hours of hard work for this forum. THIS is the only '68 GT/CS forum I know of, and it's time we recognize those who keep it going.

Who is the webmaster, anyway?? Jon! Thank YOU also for doing this, and keeping the website up and running. I'm going to go click on the banner ads at least 10 times each. I know how that works.

The spirit and kinship of those around me is what I remember when I hate/love my newly acquired '68 Calspecial.

FFS. There's no need to compare this forum to the 'other' forums. Perhaps a ~voluntary~ fee as a suggestion to calm those who do not support your time and effort over these past 20+ years. I'm feeling a lack of support for you, the one person who's kept the registry going for my CS family.

MY .02 cents. It's a choice to do the right thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PNewitt

what's silly about all of this is I offered to fund the book project at least a year and a half ago.

First of all, thanks, Anthony and Amy for your kind words of support.

I think, it's kind of a moot point now to argue whether I should charge for the registry or not. I've posted here twice that I was not going to.

Jason--I really appreciate your help, and frankly, I may still approach you on some help to get it to print. I wanted to explore every other option before burdening you with help. Kind of a hard-work, pride thing here for me.

The question of charging for the registry was not so much to fund the book, as it was to make it worth my time AFTER the book is out. There is a lot of tedious work involved in doing a registry of any kind. But I've already said that...

I'll get the book done first, and then I'll cross that registration bridge when I get to it. Remember that part--to most--of the money raised--if I did charge for it--would be for advertising in magazines for the Registry.

Thanks again to everyone.!!

Paul.