• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 engine rebuild

cool68

tell me is this a good price to get your engine rebuilt.....J code 302 $1800...all new parts inside and he,s pulling the motor

dalorzo_f

Specifically what is being done, hard to say on a "rebuild"?

Block checked for true, decked, honed/bored (torque plate used or not?) if needed? Line bored/honed main caps or reuse as-is? Degree the cam or sight install? Heads reconditioned? Cranks checked and ground if required? New valves/seats, or reuse as-is? New cam/pistons/rods/etc or old? Broken in and dyno tested or just assembled and handed over? etc. etc. etc...

What is included and what are the potential "we found..."'x" what do you want us to do...." phone calls that will add bits and pieces and jack up the price...

Far too many variables. Really need more details...

As a semi-comparison (prices here in Australia for labor are a bit higher than the USA) I am spending about 3k in machining and assembly for a 390 stroker. I am providing all parts. That is a "good price" for the quality/service I am getting from a local highly reputable builder (FoMoCo petrol heads for two generations, racing history) . So $1800 sounds like a steal for a warrantied/quality rebuild with parts included...

OP
OP
cool68

cool68

the shop has been in business for years and it is a reputable shop the man that's doing the work for me he's a big time Ford guy

OP
OP
cool68

cool68

yes yes

i just gave my guy a $1000 we have been friends going on 20+ year...i,m taking my CS to his shop on the 4th or 5th of july....he,s a jack of all trades.. he,s also going to do some rust repairand fiber glass work ... and he,s going to help me put on my new suspension from mustangs plus ...and my magnaflow exhaust system

dalorzo_f

Interesting.

I guess folks look at an "engine build" as a "paint job", and can one-size-fits-all a price without knowing what is included or final quality (or assume!)!

To each their own, I'd suggest more questions on the "what ifs", but up to you.

Midnight Special

Interesting.

I guess folks look at an "engine build" as a "paint job", and can one-size-fits-all a price without knowing what is included or final quality (or assume!)!

To each their own, I'd suggest more questions on the "what ifs", but up to you.

...How the hell do You know we don't know what's included?? 'Cuz we don't chant "motorhead" to your satisfaction??

Were you there the 20 years he knew his friend? ...You sure as f**k weren't around when I qualified my guy, toured his shop, observed his work on & on & on (with my usual diligence as a 35-year machine builder)

Do we have to sit here and have an "I'm a smarter Ahole than you" contest in order for you to not make a wise a$$ statement like that??

The results of my $1800 rebuild speaks for itself! A perfect running, fires right up, reliable and powerful FE exceeding all my expectations...known well in advance with plenty of (non-braggadocious) research!

..."like a paint job" - Screw you!

Did I qualify myself properly this time??

franklinair

Easy does it guys... Let's let the dust settle here for a little bit.
Both you guys are valuable assets to our website, in both knowledge and willingness to share information (and opinions). It hurts my heart for people I know & value to flare up at one another.
I know, and have had dealings with both of you. And believe me- if you ever had occasion to meet face to face, you'd recognize the right 'chemistry' immediately.
Let's just continue to share information (and opinions) in good spirit. And if we disagree, that's OK too. But let's do it TOGETHER- "one for all, and all for one".
You guys are the best.

Neil

66hcs-conv

Easy does it guys... Let's let the dust settle here for a little bit.
Both you guys are valuable assets to our website, in both knowledge and willingness to share information (and opinions). It hurts my heart for people I know & value to flare up at one another.
I know, and have had dealings with both of you. And believe me- if you ever had occasion to meet face to face, you'd recognize the right 'chemistry' immediately.
Let's just continue to share information (and opinions) in good spirit. And if we disagree, that's OK too. But let's do it TOGETHER- "one for all, and all for one".
You guys are the best.

Neil

Well said Neil. This forum is a valuable source, and I appreciate EVERYBODY'S help & opinion.

Thanks, Dave

OP
OP
cool68

cool68

sorry

hey guys i,m sorry this not what i wanted at all...i just value the opinions on this site.....when i come on here i feel like i,m with family...a bunch of family member with a bunch of CS mustangs....again no worries i have been dealing with this guy for 20+ year... and he,s really a ford guy......he did a few of my cars over the years like my 68 GT/CS (aqua) 66 mustang GT coupe and my 68 cougar xr7 he put a 390GT motor in that one....still can,t get him to work on my 65 thunderbird and he tell me he,s a big time FE man....one of the big reason why i,m getting such a good deal is....i sit back and listen to all those car story's from the 60s and he understands i,m a car guy just like him....this man has so many fords..this is just a few...1962 ford truck with a cobra 4.6 motor,1960 starliner with an FE,cobra kit car with a 5.0,65 fastback mustang,and 65 galaxie... and there much more......this guy is the ford guru... and i can trust him..thank you all for your help its really a value

stangfan

If I may chime in here, everyone on here has different levels of experience and competence in various aspects of the hobby. I am NO mechanic, but I like to hear the opinions and comments from those on here that are. We all love the GT/CS cars or we would not be here. Let's all just appreciate each other.

Thank you...thank you very much...:cool: