• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

What stage is your "special" in?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Curious where everyone stands in their projects? Is it done and just a show car? Is it on blocks with everything ripped out sitting in your living room? ;)

Mine's somewhere in the middle. Unfortunately I haven't had too much time for the HCS lately and it's 110 deg out so it will continue to sit until better weather. :p

It needs new rear lower quarters (rusted through) and a new interior. Body is very straight (except for the rusted quarters and one rusted lower front fender). Paint is still original, but is basically gone on the top and hood. Luckily I got mine from an original owner so all the 'special' parts are there and in good shape.

The engine and tranny are original with a ton of miles on them, but still run strong. Hate to rip them out until they start giving me problems. But I also don't want to do the paint first and then have to pull the engine and possibly scratch it.

New suspension kit has been in the garage for several months, but lately the '72 Bronco has been hogging garage space. I opted for the standard rubber suspension kit. I put a poly-graphite kit on my '67 Cougar and thought it rode a little hard.

That's pretty much it. So where does everyone else stand?

C160223

I just recently parked my car. Engine is a little tired and probably won't pass the "Air Care" emmission tests, so I'm putting it away till it' time to restore it. Currently have other car projects on the go, so it will have to wait.
All the fiberglass pieces are original and in good shape, but the body is in need of work. Both quarters, outer wheelwells, trunk drop-offs and torque boxes will need replacing. Interior also needs new seat skins, carpet and dash panels (changing back to camera case finish). Only hard part I have missing is the original grill, but will be making one when I get my fog light brackets.

John

68sunlitgold

My car is currently in storage with my parents, I am in the Air Force and could not tow it along with 2 boats to my next assignment here in Alabama. :'(

I am the 3rd owner and it had been sitting for 17 of the last 18 years, so it only has 84,000 original miles. When I got it I replaced all the fluids and gas and it started right up. ;D However, the first owner was in a front end accident. :( The grille was wrong, no hood locks, and the lights where after-market. Luckly the Marchal lights where in a box in the trunk but needed work.

The car had spent its entire life in the LA area so there is no rust on the car and all the hard to find fiberglass parts where there. After the accident the original owner did a poor job of fixing the front end and the paint job was done by one of those $99 deals.
I have been spending the last 2 years buying all the front end parts to put in back to original and planned on starting the restoration until my reassignment. My dad is retired and 2 years ago decided to fix up my 68 hardtop, so he said he will probably start on the CS this winter (parents are great :D)

Hope to have it completed back to original within the next 2-4 years. I do not intend to make it concourse because I intend to drive it every once in awhile.

Doug

I have decided to add a pic......

Attachments

• JJbackend1_lg.jpg
    JJbackend1_lg.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 678

StraightSix

I bought my GT/CS almost a year ago from a couple in Ohio. Fortunately, it was stored most of the time while it was there-- especially winters. They had bought it right here in Texas and drove it up themselves. Little did they know that they would be driving it back down to Texas two years later! It made the trip without any trouble.

It's currently in fair condition -- definitely a "driver" and not a "looker." It has a do-it-at-home enamel paint job (with Shelby-esqe LeMans stripes :p ), quite a few small dents, and a rusty floor pan. Other than that, it's in decent shape. The interior is a bit tired but looks good (everyone always remarks on it), and the engine runs strong and the 3-speed shifts perfectly. The only things it needs at the moment to be on the road are 3-point seat belts (I won't drive without 'em), and a little brake work. The brakes were weak when I got the car, and I haven't had a chance to work on them. Currently the car sits in the garage and gets started up every once in a while (and backed out in the driveway), but plans are in the works to bring it back to 100% roadworthiness by this coming Spring.

The only fiberglass piece that looks to be non-original is the trunklid, though it's a very good copy. It's exactly like the original on the exterior and interior, except behind the interior bracing you can see the fibers of the fiberglass. The original trunklids were completely die-stamped and are totally smooth. The grille is also non-original, as are the hood locks and retaining brackets. The Marchal brackets are missing. The side scoops are missing the grille and the vinyl inserts.

That about sums it up... I'll eventually send Jon some pictures so you can see it in all of its enameled glory ::)

-Winston

Our CS is in pretty good shape. We were fortunate that the previous owner took good care of it. We will be needing a new paint job (lime gold) in the near future. We live in northern Wisconisn so she has a long winter's nap, and that gives us time to work on her. The interior is good with the exception of the door panels and the seat belts need to be sent out to be restored. Our fog lights were apparently mounted by the dealer using the Shelby low chrome bases instead of the higher pipe bases (our build date was right about the time of the change-over). Does enyone know if this was common?? We enjoy taking her to local shows, and were proud to be invited to show our CS as a special interest vehicle at the Iola Car Show, one of the largest in the northern mid-west. Keep those GT/CS's moving. Good Luck

68sunlitgold

John,
Chances are that your car may have left the San Jose without any lights if it is close to the change over. And it was not uncommon for the dealer to place the Lucas lights on the Shelby square bases because that is how they came in the kit if the dealer ordered the part number for a shelby-vs-CS.
Doug

1966hcs

I just bought my 1966 HCS in June, from the original owner. The Mustang has spent its entire life in California and Nevada, so it is, you guessed it, rust free.

The former owner took very good care of it and it has always been garaged. It is unrestored except for the Engine and Trans, and it has been repainted once in the original color, Timberline Green.

The Mustang is unmodified except for dual exhaust and Aluminum wheels. It has a 289 engine and 4 speed trans.

With the Mustang I received the original paperwork, and the California black plates. The new license number will be “1966” on vanity plates.

Keep on Stanging!! :)

Stefan
sthor@strik.is
www.mustang.is

Attachments

• hcs640.jpg
    hcs640.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 329

quicknick

My CS is completely restored. I bought it from the second owner who kept it stored the past 15 years. It was painted around 1980 because of color fade, but is all original for the most part. It just needs some minor upkeep. I'll have it standing tall for next years car shows.

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 16

I just bought mine last weekend...hauled it home Sunday.

The car has been off the road since 1979-80. Some punk started to "restore" the car in 1979: he ripped out the AC unit; removed the seats;repainted the metal door parts (allowing overspray to get all over inside); took out the headlights, taillights, and marker lights; and pulled the radiator; but worst of all, he removed the sparkplugs and left them out. The sparkplug holes have corroded almost shut and I haven't even tried turning the engine over by hand--I don't think it will :'(

This car has only ONE dent --and only like a 1/2cm door-ding. It has the original paint, which is coming off on the roof and left fender in #2 patches 8-12" in diameter. All chrome and original fiberglass is there. No bodywork or bondo anywhere! Luckily, it sat for the last 22-23 years in a garage in the dry part of my state, and there is no rust anywhere on this car ;D

Right now, it's sitting with Marvel Mystery Oil pumped into the cylinders waiting for me to start work on it, safely in the garage.... Wish me luck!

68bluehcs

68 hcs , just started , but it on blocks and apart , was in a barn for 12 -15 years . got it to run after about 1-2 hours , only 87k on it but needs alot

bbeatty

Well I bought my Special almost ten years ago and I'm putting it in its first car show on Sept 11th! ;D ;D ;D

During those ten years it was almost restored once then burned to the ground, rebuilt and restored again. Oh yeah, I also moved a few times, started a family, remodled an entire house and built a pretty good career! Some years the Special just wasn't very high on my priority list.

But it sure is fun now that's it done! ;D

dbeal

Well My GTCS is finally ready for body work on the doors, and roof. I spent most of today so far sandblasting. I got it back from the body shop about a month ago where they replaced the radiator support, front frame support, and front fender aprons.(being careful to keep the vin numbers stamped on the front aprons). They also replaced the rear quarters and trunk floors, drivers and passenger floors. Engine is rebuilt and waiting on a stand, and transmission is waiting. But it's got a loooong way to go yet.

Darrell

Attachments

• 68_mustang_driver_quarter_repaired.JPG
    68_mustang_driver_quarter_repaired.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 22

rvrtrash

Mine has all the body work done, engine comp., door jambs and trunk repainted, interior redone (and sitting in a spare bedroom), suspension, steering, brakes, rear end, engine and tranny all rebuilt and the engine and tranny are going in the car THIS WEEKEND. I'll be firing it up with a set of Doug Thorley Tri-Y's and no mufflers. Won't the neighbors be impressed? It will be going into the body shop for paint in a week and a half, so I'll be busy. I'll post a pic for the gallery when it's done.
Steve ;D

Sarge

I've had my J code for about 3 1/2 years now, found it in B.C. Canada. Amazing but only a little rust spot about the size of a dime on the lower edge of the drivers door.
I am third owner, have rebuilt engine, tranny, brakes (ok, not me on brakes...) new 4 row radiator, flex fan, Holley 650, Weiand high rise intake, MSG ignition, coil & disti. Still to do: Put in aluminum water pump. Needs: Heads (a little more performance, headers, exhaust and new paint inside & out (including engine bay.
I am in the process of purchasing all of the "small stuff" that gets repop'ed with a paint job, & hope to paint next summer.
Wish: A/C!!! It is too hot here to drive it much and enjoy it. Car is a 20 footer, but paint has some nicks & scratches up close.

Attachments

• My_CS_03.jpg
    My_CS_03.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 10

PB gtcs

Our GT/CS made a milestone this weekend. It went to the Painter. After new quaters, pans, hood, deck lid, fenders and such, plus spot putty, plus 4 coats of primer with blocking it is now wearing sealer. Color tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully back next weekend

Car completely disassembled except the running gear. Interior done, ready to go in. Many new parts scattered all over the down stairs.

Two wives pissed off and one 11 yr old son/nephew really happy.

Engine and tranny rebuilt ready to go in. Its a 302, 30 over, ported and polished heads, alum intake, 600 holley, long tube headers. C4.

We are ready to put her back to gether. Will be a busy Lh Sept and October.

Brian and Paul

PB gtcs

[quote author=Talan423 link=board=1;threadid=31;start=15#msg5990 date=1094588878]
congrats and good luck!! what color? post a pic or 2.
[/quote]

The color will be acapoloco blue, same as Sarge s above. Pics are posted in gallery, Brian and Paul Stevenson. Will post more when we get color on the car. It was on a rotisoire for over 6 months. Replaced the rear frame rails and touched up the front torque boxes. over 800 lbs of media blast to get her to bare metal. Its been a real deal!!

Brian

darb

Restored my GT/CS throughout the year I've owned it from a junk bucket to a well restored daily driver.

Pending Projects:

Rebuild Engine
Rebuild Front Suspension

Everything else has been done. Interior, New Gulfstream Aqua (original color) paint, interior work, basic under hood work, brakes, a/c, trunk, etc.

Brad

Attachments

• MyStang_1.jpg
    MyStang_1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 11