• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 1968 390 S Code Air Cleaner

robert campbell

All, need help on this one. I have access to a 1967 390 S code air cleaner. Came on my wifes car. It does not have a snorkle and just has a screen for air intake into it. Chrome top. Is a 1968 390 S code air cleaner the same? How does it differ from a 1968 302 J code air cleaner? Gofastguy is looking for a 1968 390 S code stock air cleaner.

Rob

6t8-390gt

The 1968 S-code engine has a round vacuum port on the d/s of the engine and differs from the 289/ 302 air cleaner assembly. There is some confusion on the subject, due in part to cars with a Canadian DSO. S-code cars shipped to Cananda had the '67 air cleaner assembly with the screens in the front.

To further confuse the subject the X-code 390-2V had the same air cleaner as the 289/ 302 engines.

Here is a picture of the 289/302 Air Cleaner

30wtm60.jpg

Here is the S-code 390 Air Cleaner

34nh7hi.jpg

Danny

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Danny,
WOW!!! Beautiful engine compartment on your S code!!! Thanks for the info. Not sure what DSO Gofastguy's car is.

Rob

gofastguy

Danny,
WOW!!! Beautiful engine compartment on your S code!!! Thanks for the info. Not sure what DSO Gofastguy's car is.

Rob

That IS one beautiful engine compartment! I am always totally in awe of ones that are that nice. Mine is drastically improved due to a very conscientious mechanic from our club doing some painting and freshening while he had the heads off my car last month, so I am now at least part way there. I drove the car all last weekend, and I am optimistic that my ongoing problems with bent pushrods and broken valve springs are solved. I am hoping to do a bit more to the engine compartment as finances allow.

My car is a Salt Lake City car. I am new to the vintage Mustangs and don't know all that much about what is correct, but I do have two blue air cleaners that came with the car in the trunk full of "CS stuff", one with a snorkel and one without.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Your DSO (district sales office) code is on your door plate on the drivers door, or in your Marti report. Post a pic of the two air cleaners you have! The big block boys will weigh in!!

Rob

teamlo

Hey, that is one NICE LOOKING J-code 302!!

:wink:

Terry

390cs68rcode

just want to confirm that my 390 CS that was originally sold in Canada had a 67 air cleaner when I bought it from the previous owner in Canada. It now has a 68 air cleaner like the 2nd pic in this thread.