• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

07 mods - Hood locks

Dougxox

I have an 07 GT/CS, wanting to put hood pins on it, at first I was going with the standard pins with the wires, then on a website, I found the 68 hood locks. Now my dilemma, Do I go with the the currant type with the wires, or get the retro turning hood locks that came on the original CS?:rolleyes:

p51

Hmmm... I've seen the '07 Shelby GT-H and I gotta say I like the hook locks with the wire-n-pins on the '07s. Looks nice. Not sure how the '68 GT/CS locks would look on an '07; albeit, they do look great on a '68 Special :grin:

Mosesatm

Not sure how you would attach the receiving bracket. It might take some major retrofitting. They would look good but pins might be easier.

Just make sure they are Ford pins.:grin:

rvrtrash

As much as I like the '68 hood locks and the retro look, I would have to really consider the '70-'73 recessed hood lock. I think the streamlined look would look better/ be more appropriate on the new car. Just my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it.:grin:
Steve

Mustanglvr

The 68 hood locks would look much better and PLEASE people!, put some chrome on these new GT/CS`s!

P

PNewitt

Well...they aren't exactly chrome, but polished aluminum. I vote for the '68 vintage locks, because it's part of the original CS package, in keeping with the original style, just as the click type are in keeping with the original Shelby (of 1966) for the Hertz Shelby. So, I doubt that "streamlining" would be of importance (but thanks anyway, Steve) by using the '71 type...(BTW--the '70 Shelby hood locks were also used on the '70 Hurst Olds)

The question is how and where does one put the retainers? I suppose someone could machine some "L" brackets out of some thicker steel, with oval holes and the wires to catch the locks.

I should ask ACSCO if they'd like to approach this as an aftermarket item. Maybe Delta Bay could make these, too (for the orig. locks). DB makes vintage "R" model stuff, too.

It's a matter of whether late model CS owners would like to do the "Clunk-clunk" thing every time they open the hood or not. But we know that it's a sound of honor, right??

Paul N.

p.s. a big welcome to the late model GT/CS folks over here!

Mosesatm

rvrtrash said:
As much as I like the '68 hood locks and the retro look, I would have to really consider the '70-'73 recessed hood lock. I think the streamlined look would look better/ be more appropriate on the new car. Just my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it.:grin:
Steve

Great idea, Steve. Money well spent.

The later locks were a wonderful evolution of the '68 design. They don't take away from the lines of the hood and are probably much more difficult to steal.

gtcs1

PNewitt said:
It's a matter of whether late model CS owners would like to do the "Clunk-clunk" thing every time they open the hood or not. But we know that it's a sound of honor, right??

I'm just wondering how these 68 type look would work with the current hood unlatch concept. You unlock from the car interior, then go out to raise the hood. There seems to be a good spring in this latch system because the hood raise a good inche right away. This could fight hard against the 68 type hood locks.

The only way to avoid that would be to go out first, undo the locks then go inside to unlatch. When you forgot to do that, it could load the locks until after some time they possibly break I'm afraid.

Last edited:

dotbomb

The issue I have with the new locks with the cables is from what I've read they flap in the wind and scuff your paint.

P

PNewitt

Mosesatm said:
Great idea, Steve. Money well spent.
The later locks were a wonderful evolution of the '68 design. They don't take away from the lines of the hood and are probably much more difficult to steal.

....I'd hate to think what would be offered if Corvettes had hood locks ! :p

The reason I suggested the '68 style is that it's consistent with the original. People that know or remember the '68 GT/CS would appreciate this detail on a late model CS.

I've had a lot of stress put on my hood locks over the years, and they've never broken.

One "alternative" would be to cut off the shafts, and use 3M body tape to attach the tops of the locks to the hood--for looks only. From a functional standpoint, it's not all that impressive. Just an idea for now.

Paul N.

5280gtcs

To me, they have to be functional! The only locks long enough are from the 71-73's. Sorry about the dirt, the pics were taken after a storm.
Pat

Attachments

• HDLOCK1.JPG
    HDLOCK1.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 23
  • HDLOCK2.JPG
    HDLOCK2.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 32
  • HDLOCK3.JPG
    HDLOCK3.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 40

Mustanger

5280gtcs said:
To me, they have to be functional! The only locks long enough are from the 71-73's. Sorry about the dirt, the pics were taken after a storm.
Pat

Did you install those hood locks yourself? Looks nice ...

hookedtrout

5280gtcs said:
Pat

Nice, really nice.

case12

5280gtcs said:
Pat
Pat, this is very nice looking - and keeping with the GT/CS look. Bravo on a good job! Let's hope others see this, follow your lead, and do the same thing. I imagine you would post how you did it if they are interested. Casey

rvrtrash

5280gtcs said:
To me, they have to be functional! The only locks long enough are from the 71-73's.
Pat

Now that's what I'm talking about! I thought those would look good on the car. Good job!

Steve

OP
OP
Dougxox

Dougxox

5280gtcs said:
Pat

Nice!, where do I get these and at what price?
Can you get some shots on how and where they were installed from under the hood? Thanks