• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

'68 Wheels

Mustanger

I was wondering, what do you guys think are a good wheel combo for GTCS'?

'68 style steel wheels, '68 GT wheels, magnum 500's, Shelby 10 spoke rims, mustang wheel covers, Cragers, American Torque D's, 14", 15", etc.? ???

PFSlim

In my opinon, I like the wheels that came on the car. Argent Style wheels. My second choice, if I did not want the factory look would be the shelby 10 spoke wheels.

Just my opinion.

Paul

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

... was there ever a chrome version of the GT style wheel? Was that in '68, or maybe in '69?

rvrtrash

There was a chrome GT wheel, I have them on my car, which is in the gallery. I would go with either GT wheel first, then the Shelby 10 spoke, then the TorqThrust D's.
Steve

68gt390

[quote author=Mustanger link=board=1;threadid=1499;start=0#msg8869 date=1111704546]
... was there ever a chrome version of the GT style wheel? Was that in '68, or maybe in '69?
[/quote]

n.i.d.steve is correct. There was a chrome version of the Styled Steel Wheel as well as the argent version. I have included a picture of the chrome wheels that are on my GT/CS. I actually like them better than the argent wheels which I have on my 68 GT coupe.

Don ;)

Attachments

• Potter4.jpg
    Potter4.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

Those chrome rims sure look nice, and I also like the Goodyear tires ... what size are those? Are you running the same or different size in the rear?

68gt390

hcsstang is correct. "C" code cars were not true GT optioned cars and did not come with the GT center caps. You had to have at least a "J" code 302, 4V to be eligible for the GT suspension and dual tip exhaust. All true GT's were 4V with the exception being the 390 "X" code which because of the 390 engine package qualified for the GT suspension. If you check back throughout the posts on the site you will see we've had the discussion of what constitutes a true GT optioned car many times. The "C" code cars were all 2V cars. I have known many folks who add the GT items (GT center caps, dual tip exhaust & valance, GT pop open gas cap) to their cars. I've even seen many folks swap out the 2V manifold and replace it with a 4V manifold and forget about the 2V heads. Dumping a lot of raw fuel that doesn't get burned. It should be noted also that on the GT/CS the pop open gas cap came with the running horse emblem and not the GT pop open gas cap. I have heard though that a few GT optioned cars did make it out of San Jose with the incorrect pop open gas cap on them.

For Mustanger: The wheels are P215/70R 14. I'm running same size on the rear. There is a company (which I have a catalogue for) that makes these same rims in 15's. I plan on swapping out to those this summer sometime to get me a little more tire on the road to handle the power from the 390. I'll look for it and post the site address so you can see what they offer. The rims are very hard to tell apart from factory and they even come complete with the GT center caps. The factory 14's are only 7" rims and really don't allow for a very wide tire. I'm running L-60 mickey thompsons on my GT and that was the widest tire I could get on the factory rim.

Don ;)

68sunlitgold

Don is correct on the GT engine size. The actually wheels that came with teh GT option where argent, but you could replace them for chrome if you desired, which many did. You could also order a non-GT car with chrome wheels, but as explained, they would have plain center caps. You could not order argent wheels with out the GT option.

Doug

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

Quick question: I know the chrome rims look nice, I personally like them, but were they ever offered by Ford back in '68?

68gt390

Yes. They were an option that could be ordered in 68. As a matter of fact, the Style Steel Wheels on my car are the originals. I had them rechromed.

Don ;D

007bluto

Shelby 10 Spoke's with BFG GForce Tires, Look awsome!!!!!! ;D 8)

Attachments

• 10_spoke.jpg
    10_spoke.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 21

Russ

Here is a wheel/tire combo that is totally retro – the wheels are original American Racing Equipped, 14 x 7, 1/2" positive offset, torque thrust wheels – tire size 235/60 x 14.

I think this is a tough looking combo –

The car is my newly restored 1968 GT Coupe

Russ

Attachments

• gt.jpg
    gt.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 22

hookedtrout

Nice, I like the looks of the mag wheels on the muscle cars. Back when I was in High School you raised up the rear end, put on mag wheels and wide back tires and you was cool. 8)

Hook

Russ

Hook, I'm not sure my Mustang is a muscle car, maybe just a 302 pony car. I wanted all four wheels and tires the same size, fashioned after the Trans-Am cars of the late '60's......for a more "road-race" appearance. I especially like the wider stance these wheels produce.
Russ