• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Hood Turn Signal Rubber Grommet

case12

My understanding is that there is supposed to be a rubber grommet where the wires for the hood turn signals go into the hood (the round hole). I can't seem to find this part in my restoration books and catalogs. Does anyone know if this is right, and where I might find the item? Casey

bbeatty

Yep, there's supposed to be a grommet in that hole but you'll almost never see a car that has them. Most of the contours cars at the 40th anniversery show didn't have them either.

At that show I spoke to the Scott Drake people about the grommets and they said they won't be making them anytime soon. They just don't think many people would buy it.

PFSlim

Casey

I did not know this information either until Brian pointed it out at our World of Wheels show. Brian B. is one smart cookie. Listen to him and you can never go wrong!!

Except for the fact that he has alittle Kansas Jayhawk in him, but we try not to hold that against him.

Paul

390cs68rcode

I have them on both of my 68's. You can sometimes find the underhood light kits that have them included. As a matter of fact the 2 kits I have in the garage have them in them (not for sale).

bbeatty

[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=1498;start=0#msg8870 date=1111704714]
I have them on both of my 68's. You can sometimes find the underhood light kits that have them included. As a matter of fact the 2 kits I have in the garage have them in them (not for sale).

[/quote]

JBSteven, please expand. What is a underhood light kit? Are you referring to a NOS dealer installed light similar to the trunk light kit?

Thanks

hcsstang

Some time ago I questioned the same thing.Since then I was told by a MCA judge that they didn't have the grommets in the holes. On the metal frame that supports radiator the holes for the headlights where the wires goes through ,a plastic grommets works perfect. I think that they run about 2 bucks. On ebay they had a pair and I bid them up to 75 bucks boy I'm glad that I didn't get them. I got a pair but when I go to the Grand National I think that I'll take them out.

390cs68rcode

[quote author=bbeatty link=board=1;threadid=1498;start=0#msg8881 date=1111713938]
[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=1498;start=0#msg8870 date=1111704714]

[/quote]

JBSteven, please expand. What is a underhood light kit? Are you referring to a NOS dealer installed light similar to the trunk light kit?

Thanks
[/quote]

yes, same thing. One of my 68's has the interior visability group which includes: 2 under dash courtesy lights, trunk and under hood light. These are factory installed I believe (the hood light especially) since it looks different from the dealer installed kits. my factory one looks different from the one below (the one below is a dealer kit)

6d_1_b.JPG

Russ

Casey,

I heard the same rumor, researched the issue, and found that it was just that...a rumor. Check the 1968 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual, and you will not find any reference to a grommet for the hood wiring. A plastic grommet from a 1965-66 Mustang can be used, and it will stop any chaffing of the wiring loom, but it is not original to the 1968 Mustang. Hope this helps.

Russ

bbeatty

[quote author=PFSlim link=board=1;threadid=1498;start=0#msg8866 date=1111704115]
Casey

Brian B. is one smart cookie. Listen to him and you can never go wrong!!

[/quote]

Paul

You know I have a lot of respect for you as a person and as a restorer but that right there is just bad advice!! ;) ;D ;)

Russ

This post is interesting because it brings to light rumors and beliefs about what is "correct" for our cars. As I strived to be concours correct on my GT/CS, I studied various details to insure my car was as close to original as possible. I found the 1968 Mustang Assembly manuals to be extremely accurate and the Electrical manual clearly shows no grommet for the hood. The reference for this information is found in the Electrical Assembly Manual entitled "Turn Signal Indicator Models-All", page E8-8135-1, date 1-22-68.

Also, the photographed grommet advertised on ebay is clearly advertised as a trunk grommet, not one for the hood. I would never question anyone's advice, as everyone on this site is trying to be helpful and provide the best information possible. My only point is to utilize any and all documentation to back up any questionable issue.

As for the grommet in question, you can buy these grommets from NPD (#14603-1K) for $1.00. They are made for the wiring harness on the inner fender of a 1965-66 Mustang. My 1966 Shelby has this grommet and it works great to stop any chaffing of the wiring harness.

Just my two cents,
Russ

Russ

FYI: The Electrical Assembly manual clearly shows the grommet, p/n C60B-14603-B, used in the trunk for the luggage compartment lamp. Hope this helps,
Russ

mmarsalone

My 67 built in Metuechen, does not have the grommet. Although it's not pretty, it's very original. But we all know things were different at differnt factories.

Mike

bbeatty

This is a fun post - I love a good debate. I'm thinking this could be one of those factory variance things or maybe something Ford either started or dropped along the way.

The first time I ever noticed one was at a show three years ago and it was on an original owner's car and he was proud as heck of the grommets.

As for me, I'm going to buy one grommet and stick in the bottom hole and put nothing in the top hole. Then I'm going to forevermore insist that was the way it came from the factory!! :p ;D :p

Russ

I think everyone should do what they want with their car, and HAVE FUN. I also met a fellow with a GT/CS who insisted that this grommet should be placed in the hood. His car is an MCA Medallion car, so I didn't argue with him.

While I won't debate this issue with anyone, I believe the factory published assembly manuals to "guide" their employees in the production of their cars. As a cost issue, though, I don't know why any assembly plant would choose to ignore the manual and install a grommet when Ford said it should not be there!!!

That being said.....NOTHING is ever set in concrete.

Russ

OP
OP
case12

case12

Thanks for all the input - you guys are great. "To grommet or not to grommet", that is now my question. I credit Bob Teets for the question, because he asked me if mine had one when I was talking to him about my car. I would think this is also a question for all early 68 mustangs (not just GT/CS, HCS) that had this hood option. As I mentioned, my restoration books and my old shop manuals and autolite (original) parts manuals did not show the grommet - so it got me to wondering. Casey

hcsstang

I got in touch with MCS about the grommets and here is the reply, some people think there was grommets there i have not seen anything to support that so I say no grommets is correct

CJ

As an original owner I can unequivocally say my CS didn't have them. It would have been a good idea to have such a grommet to protect the integrity of the wires from chaffing.

Claude

hookedtrout

Man I wish I had you guys problem instead of a 2 barrell carb that has been rebuilt twice and still pumps fuel out the overflow tubes everytime I try to start it. Want to trade problems. ;D

Hook