• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Gas Cap Leak??

BroadwayBlue

I keep forgetting to ask this question.

I drove to a cruise a few weeks ago and while dusting off the car I noticed a gas stain on the bumper right under the gas cap.
I know this didn't get there when I put gas in since I'm careful and put a rag/towel underneath. I've had some challenges with some gas pump nozzles where the fuel come out while I'm pumping if I allow it to flow too fast. Other people with 68 Mustangs have told me they have the same problem.

Anyhow I thought about it and to get to the cruise I had to go over a mountain and the road was pretty steep going up. I'm thinking while going up the mountain, some gas leaked out of the cap and onto the bumper.

Has this happened to anyone?

Should there be some kind of gasket around the cap or opening?

Please post pics if you have one. Thanks!!!

davidathans

i have had this problem at the race track...when i leave the line with half a tank of fuel and slicks on the car, gas would spill out on the track and they would burn it off with a torch b4 the next guy made a pass...they used to bitch at me bcuz of it...well there is a rubber gasket that will solve this problem which i now have on my car and i dont spill anymore...i got it from mustangs etc in van nuys, CA...just get a donut shaped rubber gasket and glue it into the gas cap...i dont have a picture of it..but i'll try to take one tomorrow

rvrtrash

I have a gasket in my gas cap that looks so old it had to come from the factory. I would guess yours had one at one time and it's just crumbled away.
Steve