• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS Restoration Questions

franklinair

The dual exhaust & Pwr Brakes= Good ideas. As I mentioned before, I have no qualms about adding model/year upgrades (I did to mine) as I think they actually enhance the car (and value). An Edelbrock 4V intake & 500CFM carb will improve a stock 289 performance without spending big bucks on a performance engine.
As for the Pwr Brakes, I simply added the PB Booster and maintained the drum brakes. It works fine that way, and can save you the costs of spindles, rotors, calipers, etc.
For suspension- stay stock, front & rear. It's cost effective, and for normal driving it's fine. I would go for a Hvy duty sway bar, Monte Carlo bar and export brace to stiffen the front end.
Obviously, we're here to help you spend as much money as possible:icon_ecst

Neil

PS- Which brings to mind: Ron (clubpro) can save you some bucks on parts. He's done well for me. Just PM him.

nfrntau

First, thanks for the compliment Rob.
I did a complete ground up restoration and spent a lot of time, start to finish pondering on just this topic, stock, go for it, somewhere in the middle.
I was, as you are, extremely fortunate that I was in a position to make the call, problem was which way to sway.
Ultimately I built the car the way I wanted it to be. My Father is a purist, in his opinion (which holds a lot of sway with me) it was (and still is) a COMPLETE waste of $$ for me to build it any other way than 100% stock.
I built the car for me, I built it so I could drive it, safely and enjoyably. I have kept all the original parts and I didn't do anything to the car that cannot be undone. Whatever you do don't ruin the car, stay away from Mustang II front ends etc. Keep mods limited to items that can be reversed.
I am happy I built my car my way. I can always take it back to 100% stock if I want to, which I don't. Had I built it 100% stock, me personally, I would always have wished I built it the way I did. You will be the one with that smile on your face each time you sit in that seat and turn the key. In my wife's words, I liked your Mustang a lot better after you got it on the road and people look at us like were movie stars when we drive by.
I guess I'm rambling, build it your way, keep it simple, keep it tasteful, keep it reversible (if you change it), and most importantly don't lose the flavor of the vehicle.

Ruppstang

I hate to keep bringing this up but how you build the car depends on how you use it.

When you say you want to show it are you talking about judged MCA shows or local anything-goes shows?

If you use it mainly for shows I don't see a real benefit to electronic ignition and the extra wire required may cost you points at an MCA show.

No point deductions in concours driven for Pertronix, Halogen head lts. and P metric tires. Or you can go to ocassional driven class for a bit more freedom. Marty MCA 38812

JohnnyQuest515

Now, you have some advice curious which way you are headed!

My car being sorta rare, I did some bolt ons and that's it. If someone offers me big bucks,everything can come off in a couple of hours. But, I have found most of the crowd accepts my additions and for me the driving experience is enchanced due to such things as wheels/tires/powerbooster.

Best part is make it yours and enjoy the process.

Randy

Midnight Special

Now, you have some advice curious which way you are headed!

My car being sorta rare, I did some bolt ons and that's it. If someone offers me big bucks,everything can come off in a couple of hours. But, I have found most of the crowd accepts my additions and for me the driving experience is enchanced due to such things as wheels/tires/powerbooster.

Best part is make it yours and enjoy the process.

Randy

...So true! This happens everytime someone asks for suggestions. A lot of great ideas and perspectives come as a result (benefitting everyone), but in the end - she's your baby!
:)

OP
OP
M

mustanggirl

To answer Randy's question we still have not 100% decided what we are going to do. My husband had the day off so we spent most of the day cleaning up the car and getting it running well. I don't think it has been driven much in at least a year. I cleaned the interior and windows while my husband and son replaced the spark plugs, wires, and repaired the brakes. We tried to start the car for the first time and after several hours of banging our heads against the hood we discovered the previous owner installed a "trick" to start the car. For the moment we are going to drive and get to know the car, and finish the work on our '70 coupe, before we tear into it and start the restoration work.

66hcs-conv

We have noticed that on the door tag the DSO code is a 6 digit number instead of the normal 2 digits. We have read that this is because the HCS were special order, but do all 66 HCS have the same DSO code or they unique to each car?

Hi Mustanggirl,

We are in Loveland and have a HCS convertible also in Columbine blue.
All the HCS cars have a DSO of 51 (since they went to the Denver DSO),
And the color should be blank. The 4 digits following the DSO is subject to debate. Some say it is the sequential numbering of the HC cars, others say it references a dealer number.

Perhaps Hicountry Bob can offer an opinion here.

By coincidence, there is a guy that lives within 1/2 mile of us here in Loveland that also has a HCS columbine blue conv.

Have fun, Dave

J_Speegle

........ The 4 digits following the DSO is subject to debate. Some say it is the sequential numbering of the HC cars, others say it references a dealer number.

Would suggest that they were built, handled and numbered the same way as every other special order was at San Jose. The number is from the upper left hand corner of the order form that spelled out what non RPO option was going to be made on the car(s)

The order could reflect a group of cars (if all equipped the same- example an order of 65-67 Shelbys or Color of the Rainbow cars in 68 & 69) or an individual car like many of the special order cars. If a number of different special orders were placed all at the same time (using different order forms) and they were entered into the system then you might get two cars or groups of cars with sequential special order numbers from the same location.

Of course additional orders place at another time (even though they were equipped the same as another) would have generated another order and DSO from all the ones I've seen

Looking in the Mustang Production Guide I found the following DSOs that were sent in identified as HCS

510224 Conv
510224 Coupe (owner did not report it as a HCS but the same DSO would indicate it originally was one or they read it incorrectly since the projected build date was a month off of the one above)
510240 Coupe
510241 Conv
510243 Coupe
510267 FB

Last edited:

Mosesatm

Here are portions of an article in the August 2008 issue of Mustang Monthly that says your car is one of the top cars to keep stock.

Attachments

• 2008 Aug MM Cover Small.jpg
    2008 Aug MM Cover Small.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 2008 Aug MM P20 Small.jpg
    2008 Aug MM P20 Small.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 2008 Aug MM P21 Small.jpg
    2008 Aug MM P21 Small.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

hicountrybob

In my opinion you don't buy a special car then hot rod it. It likely cost you more than a non - HCS right and you bought it because it was so why make it into something else. I've found that the more you modify the specials the more often people will assume its a clone/fake.

Save that (modifications) for the 1 of a million sort of Mustang.

Oh, Jeff, right on, and why " FIX" something SPECIAL that isn't broke is my thing, too. The paint color alone, is going to slow Mustang people down no matter where you are ie. your driveway, shows, cruizing, etc. If you're going to screw it up (sorry), bring it back down to Denver and I'll cash you out. You know, I'm not above changing a FACTORY AM out for a FACTORY AM- FM, or DRUM to DISC brakes, but NOT with a booster and dual master cylinder (on a 65-66). Please save the chrome hipo valve covers, the cheapo x-port brace, the colored plug wires stuff for Jeff's 1 in a million mod car. But that"s me. OH, OH, I can feel it now ie. I've stepped over the line, haven't I, guys and gals. Sorry about that, I'm not even going to put my name on the bottom this time. I think I better take my computer to Bremerton in July and throw it off the ferry into the bay.

hicountrybob

We have noticed that on the door tag the DSO code is a 6 digit number instead of the normal 2 digits. We have read that this is because the HCS were special order, but do all 66 HCS have the same DSO code or they unique to each car?

Hi Mustanggirl,

We are in Loveland and have a HCS convertible also in Columbine blue.
All the HCS cars have a DSO of 51 (since they went to the Denver DSO),
And the color should be blank. The 4 digits following the DSO is subject to debate. Some say it is the sequential numbering of the HC cars, others say it references a dealer number.

Perhaps Hicountry Bob can offer an opinion here.

By coincidence, there is a guy that lives within 1/2 mile of us here in Loveland that also has a HCS columbine blue conv.

Have fun, Dave
Dave, I'll post some stuff this weekend here on the site about the 4 numbers after the DSO numbers. Bob Teets here.

Midnight Special

Oh, Jeff, right on, and why " FIX" something SPECIAL that isn't broke is my thing, too. The paint color alone, is going to slow Mustang people down no matter where you are ie. your driveway, shows, cruizing, etc. If you're going to screw it up (sorry), bring it back down to Denver and I'll cash you out. You know, I'm not above changing a FACTORY AM out for a FACTORY AM- FM, or DRUM to DISC brakes, but NOT with a booster and dual master cylinder (on a 65-66). Please save the chrome hipo valve covers, the cheapo x-port brace, the colored plug wires stuff for Jeff's 1 in a million mod car. But that"s me. OH, OH, I can feel it now ie. I've stepped over the line, haven't I, guys and gals. Sorry about that, I'm not even going to put my name on the bottom this time. I think I better take my computer to Bremerton in July and throw it off the ferry into the bay.

...Oh my God! ...Bremerton!! ...Is that near Seattle??

HANG IN THERE BOB! DON'T DO IT!!

I'm sending reinforcements!!!

;-)

Attachments

• churchladyHC.jpg
    churchladyHC.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 34

hicountrybob

...Oh my God! ...Bremerton!! ...Is that near Seattle??

HANG IN THERE BOB! DON'T DO IT!!

I'm sending reinforcements!!!

;-)

Hey, Tim, I've been looking for, I think, THAT white/red HCS shirt on your post here, ever since that picnic at Mike's where I wiped my car down with one just like it. I'm wondering if you found it. I'm sure you didn't know I misplaced it. Did it clean up nicely? Don't try to tell me you bought one when that red Pueblo HCS was dumped in your yard, did you? Yep, Bremerton is, you know this,, where the naval shipyard 's located, about a 45 minute ferry ride from the Seattle docks and Omar's Fish & Chips. Try it, you'll like it. I grew up in Bremerton, right off Kipsap Way (9th & Constitution) and last month my wife and I flew up for a week to smell the roses. I promised her NO CAR STUFF, so I didn't look up Rob or Amie (sp) while we were there. Did stop at Bel-Kirk Mustang one day, looking for a trap door for a '68 fastback I bought this summer, no dice. No offense, on my mod comments but as they say, THAT"S ME. Thank's for sticking up for me!

robert campbell

Bob,
I had relatives that could have thrown rocks at you while you were growing up!!! Ivar's Fish and Chips!!! Yummm!!!

You were in Bremerton and did not say hi!!! My wife could have distracted yours long enough for at teast one "car" story!!

Did you move before you were of "cruising town" age? That is how I met my wife! In my first Mustang! A 1967 Fastback. She was driving her Dad's 56 T-Bird! That is another long long story!

Maybe we will meet this summer?

Rob

Midnight Special

Hey, Tim, I've been looking for, I think, THAT white/red HCS shirt on your post here, ever since that picnic at Mike's where I wiped my car down with one just like it. I'm wondering if you found it. I'm sure you didn't know I misplaced it. Did it clean up nicely? Don't try to tell me you bought one when that red Pueblo HCS was dumped in your yard, did you? .......... No offense, on my mod comments but as they say, THAT"S ME. Thank's for sticking up for me!

Hi Bob,
No, I didn't realize you left that nice looking shirt behind. I used the one from the photo below for the little "chuckle" :)

As for sticking up for you? Golly! You are among the most dedicated, straight-shooting and good-hearted men I've ever had the privilege to meet...and THAT is no BS!

:)

Attachments

• IMG_2915.jpg
    IMG_2915.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 41

Mosesatm

Here are some HCS articles.

Attachments

• HCS Articles.pdf
    46.1 KB · Views: 34