• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 wiring harness to tailights

Duker

Hello again

Well:smile: I was successfull thanks to you, wiring my tailights, ie new grounds ect.

Now the wiring harness. Looking and comparing the gauge of the wires in the taillights to the wiring harness the taillight wire seems to be a heavier gauge. Is this the case?

The wiring harness I think is 14 gauge. Does this make another challenge for the power reaching the taillights? Although my harness is supplying power right now I have a few connectors installed in the harness over the years from previous owners, 13 to be exact lol. Should I just leave well enough alone? I was considering doing a new wiring harness using the old connectors.:undecided

Does the wiring harness go through the firewall? What is involved removing at the front under the dash?

I have a challenging disability being right handed but I have no feeling in my hand so I would need the services of another to do the work under the dash.

There are not to many people in my area that have even heard of a CS.

Any info and advice would be appreciated.

Doug

robert campbell

Wow, 13 connectors. That cannot be good! Can you post a pic of some of them? The rear wire harness does not go through the firewall. It comes up in the left "kick panel" and goes into the main harness in the left lower corner of the harness under the dash. Not to bad to disconnect.

They make a reproduction harness that should be a step up from 13 connectors.

Rob

OP
OP
D

Duker

Wiring Harness

Please, where do I get this harness you are taking about?

I honestly did not expect to see the harness with all the splices but like I said it has been tested and it works. I just don't know for how long after rewiring the taillights and installing new flashers.

I was told to install 2 new flashers. 10 lamp.

My car is still in storage right now to get a picture for you.

What's that saying about opening a can of worms lol

Sorry

Doug

robert campbell

Mustangs Plus.
1-800-999-4289
Part number 14517 $189.95. Supposed to be the wiring harness connecting under the dash and goining down left side of car to the trunk area.

Rob

OP
OP
D

Duker

Sorry for delays getting back to you. I will call. Does it have the CS connectors we all have and love to plug right into taillights? lol

Rob, I did call the number but it is telling me that the number cannot be completed as dialed. I checked numerous times. Can you check the number you provided me please.

Doug

franklinair

Try this one: 1-209-944-9977. The 800 number Rob gave is what they have listed on their web page.

Neil

robert campbell

I would assume that it will plug into your existing harness leaving the trunk into the tail lights. And going all the way up the left side to under the left side of the dash. I would assume that it would not include the actual harness and light sockets for your tail light assembly. Hope that is clear as mud?? I have not seen one.

Rob

68CaliSp

I've been working on my taillight wiring harness a lot lately. I have tracked the wiring from the bulbs to my headlight switch but have not been able to figure out where/why my running lights are working on bright (like my brake lights). If I push the brake while my lights are on the running lights will dim a little and then get bright again; so it’s like I always have my brakes on. I know there has to be something simple that I have changed or done backwards. The only thing I have replaced recently was the headlight switch. I have checked all the plugs and I don't see any that can be connected more than one way. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Cameron

franklinair

Try disconnecting the brake light switch (activated by the brake pedal) and see if the problem goes away. (I'm assuming 'runnung lights' means tail lights)
You may have a faulty brake light switch. Let us know.

Neil

68CaliSp

It’s not the brake light switch I just checked that. With no lights and just my brake on the smaller element of the taillight bulb is on, with all my lights on (headlights/taillights) and the brake on both elements are on-the smaller is dim and the large is very bright. With the lights on and the brake off only the larger element is on. Thanks for the reminder about the brake light switch Neil, I completely forgot about it.

Cameron

franklinair

You've got a wire crossed somewhere. The brake light switch is supposed to furnish power to the Bright elements in the tail light bulbs (in conjunction with the turn signal switch & flasher). Headlight switch powers the dim elements of all running lights.

Neil