• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

More Air Conditioning Woes

Redwingrobb

I think I know the answer to this but thought I'd ask. When I switch on the A/C, as you're looking at the air compressor/wheel--the outer wheel of the A/C unit spins, but the inner portion (clutch?) will spin some, stop and make a squealing noice, start spinning and then stop again. Is this a bearing issue? If so, would I be able to just take and replace just that portion? Robb

rvrtrash

It could be the clutch is bad, in which case you could just replace the clutch. It could also be a problem with the compressor and the clutch is slipping when the compressor "locks up". With the engine off, put a wrench on the bolt in the center of the clutch and try turning it. The bolt (which is threaded into the center shaft of the compressor) and center hub of the clutch should turn easily with no binding. If it doesn't turn easily, don't force it. You don't want to break the bolt. It's not 100% guaranteed but binding equal new compressor, free-wheeling equal new clutch.
Steve