• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Georgia GT/CS in Autotrader

68gt390

All I know is if I had the room, I'd be all over it. There are those who shy away from the "X" code 390 but, I'll take a 390 of any type. Besides, if you look at the work that's been done to it you could say it's almost an "S" code car. But, it's a good thing I don't have the room because my girlfriend thought I was nuts when I bought my CS since I already had a GT 390 Coupe. ::) Maybe an addition to house this summer, who knows.

Don ;)

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Sorry, but as you know, I'm not up on big blocks. What is the difference between an X-code car and an S-code car? ???

case12

I did talk to Jim about this car before I bought my 289 CS out of California. Jim is really nice to deal with. He has the Marti Report and it is a real CS 390 2V from district 73 (Salt Lake City) which is a little unique. The 390 has been modified, and he thinks it is the original block. I am very happy with my purchase, but this was a close second. The difference was price and at the time Jim was not wanting to come off his price. (BTW, he has advertised on this site a couple of times). It is a beautiful car, but I am with Doug in loving the Sunlit Gold color the most.

Like Don, I might be tempted to add this big block CS to the collection, but garage space is limited! Casey

hookedtrout

I beg to differ in the color, Sunlit is a beaut but Blue with White stripes is the daisy of all Mustangs and Shelbys. ;)

Looks like a really nice car to me and yes as you can tell I'm partial to white on blue and like the rest of you I'm out of space as well. :-\

Hook

68gt390

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1335;start=0#msg7710 date=1106274886]
Sorry, but as you know, I'm not up on big blocks. What is the difference between an X-code car and an S-code car? ???
[/quote]

Internals and horsepower. On the "S" code GT motor, the Crank (police interceptor), rods & pistons, heads, intake manifold and carb (2V "X" code and 4V "S" code) are all different. It does make for a difference in horsepower. "X" code = around 280 to 285 hp and the "S" code 1968 version around 335 hp depending on which book you read.

Don ;)

deestix

As the owner of an 'X' code '68 GT/CS, it's a great car. However, just so you're aware, none of the major Mustang parts suppliers carry parts unique to this engine. It's been a little tough to find some things I need, like the exh. man. to carb tube. In fact, many Mustang books do not even acknowledge that this engine was available in the '68 Mustangs. As per Kevin Marti, 476 Mustangs (out of about 4,000 GT/CS's, and about 317,000 '68 Mustangs) were 'X' code. So it is super-rare. I'm also a realist: that does not make them super-valuable!

68gt390

[quote author=deestix link=board=1;threadid=1335;start=0#msg7748 date=1106428479]
As the owner of an 'X' code '68 GT/CS, it's a great car. However, just so you're aware, none of the major Mustang parts suppliers carry parts unique to this engine. It's been a little tough to find some things I need, like the exh. man. to carb tube. In fact, many Mustang books do not even acknowledge that this engine was available in the '68 Mustangs. As per Kevin Marti, 476 Mustangs (out of about 4,000 GT/CS's, and about 317,000 '68 Mustangs) were 'X' code. So it is super-rare. I'm also a realist: that does not make them super-valuable!
[/quote]

Very true. Every show I've been to with my GT/CS folks are not even aware that Ford used two different 390 engines in the GT/CS. When I've tried to explain there was an "X" and "S" code 390 many of the people (Claimed to be Ford Experts) have told me I'm incorrect and that Ford only used the "S" code 390. I just let them ramble and go about my business. I figure it's not worth the hassle to get in a long drawn out conversation just to show them their wrong. Parts for them are very hard to find. Still, I would have bought either simply because it is a 390. I'm fortunate that mine is the "S" code and parts aren't plentiful but, they can be found if you have the right resources.

Don :)