• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

i have a 1968 gtcs for sale it was rolled at 10mph

Mustanglvr

The Marti is attached but it doesn't list the car as a GT/CS.
This seems to be a common issue with the earliest cars.

This car would need a good look-over by someone who knows these cars. Some things on it are'nt original like the gas cap and looks like the taillight trim is black. Could this just be an early 68 somebody modified?

OP
OP
O

ocbambam

OK well since i have posted this ad i have pulled the car out of my back yard and a house guest who is a fabricator has been cleaning up the car and has, went to work on pulling the roof line back in to place! now the driver window rolls up and it is almost ready to put a windshield in the car ! i will send more pictures today ok! i can be reached at 562 690 4073 thank you Danny

robert campbell

Neil/Arlie,
Wish I was closer to this car. I would start by looking at the taillight harness and see if it is the original and not disturbed in any way. Most clones were spliced. Mine is the original in my car. Another often not duplicated item will be the fog light breaker on the fuse box. Small, bolt on, rectangular breaker switch. And of course the fog lights and the fog light wiring. Brackets in the grill. A close up of the side scoops and the “witness” lines on them. Early repops had no witness lines. Trunk lid and end caps are easy to see if they are original or repops.

The gas cap is identical to mine and the first GT/CS book noted that a few early cars may have got the GT gas cap. And it would be in black lettering as was a 1967 instead of the red for 1968.

Fun stuff! This is an interesting car! Danny, a good shot of the grill would be very helpful. I can even help you look at the bits and pieces via a phone call. I am out this weekend at the lake, but will be back Monday. (360) 377-5164. My car may or may not be the real deal. But this site is a great site of knowledgeable people and your asking price is very reasonable if the body is sound. Hard to tell from pictures. Whether it is the real deal or not. Although a valuable option, these cars are not worth what a Shelby convertible is and many enjoy the clones just as much. If I was selling my car, I would let a prospective buyer know all that I did. Then your hands are clean and the buyer has no recourse.

Rob

Mosesatm

We now have 5 early cars that Marti does not recognize as California Specials. The dates are all basically within a week of each other so I still think some early coupes were pulled off the assembly line and converted into California Specials at the San Jose plant, no matter what the old registrar says.

They are:
C132803 Date=23A Actual build date = Jan 27
J131333 Date=22A Actual build date = Jan 23
C133798 Date=26A Actual build date = Jan 25
J134396 Date=27A Actual build date = Jan 25
C136238 Date=31A Actual build date = Feb 5

Last edited:

franklinair

That's very interesting. If these cars can be verified "beyond a reasonable doubt", that would make them super rare.

Neil

robert campbell

Neil/Arlie,
I agree that these cars may have been pulled or stagnant due to the strike in the fall of 1967. Already bucked, fully assembled, with a Ford pedigree as they were ordered. Pull the trunk lid and end caps. Conventional wisdom says the holes were drilled from a template for the CS script. Remove the grill and install the wiring for the fog lights. The tricky part is the nut that holds the side scoop. The holes for the stud were crude at best. And in this case the holes for the 68 quarter indent trim may have been there. The interior panels must be removed and unless they had a woman with tiny hands the window regulator needs to be partially removed. With the interior panels removed it would be the perfect time to route the rear wiring harness. You had to pull the scuff plates to remove the rear quarter interior panels. So remove the front left kick panel and install the wiring harness. Put on the stripes and off you go.

An interesting thought I have not asked before. On all of the GT/CS cars you have been around, has the trim holes for the normal 68 side trim piece on the scoop area been there? My guess is they are as they were punched as part of the quarter panel forming process. My car has the holes in this area.

The best way we can try to authenticate these cars may be through owner history. Old photos from the original owner. Stories of the actual purchase. Was it on the lot or did you order it? If any one of the cars that Arlie listed has some good owner history it could help a ton to help with the other cars. Other help would be a close visual inspection of the cars. Original paint? And of course a hard look at all the fiberglass and other GT/CS pieces. I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!

Rob

CougarCJ

I am not so certain that the UAW strike had any effect on this. The 66 day strike ended Nov 11, 1967.

C136238 Date=31A Actual build date = Feb 5

My early GT/CS has a VIN of J137614 with a scheduled build date of Feb 5, actual build date of Feb 6. Mine has a release date of Feb 19. Typically the release date is one or two days after the build date.

Arlie, what is the 'release' date on the above mentioned Mustangs?

It is possible that Ford might not have kept track internally of the very earliest cars if they were converted after that release date.
I wonder if the debut cars have any special notation mentioning them as "Show Units", or do any of them show "California Special" on their Marti Reports?
If they don't, it is likely the total number of 1968 GT/CS and HCS cars is slightly higher than 4118, as the records show.

Mosesatm

The basic Marti doesn't show a release date.

Attachments

• Marti C136238.pdf
    65.8 KB · Views: 64

gt/csj4

Ya those pictures show off in better detail the extent of the damage which is not really "that bad". The A pillar is pushed in a bit but the roof appears to still be straight which has me scratching my head as to "how this car was rolled" whereas it looks to be more "laid on its side" The front end is a mess but again to someone that knows how to rebuild these cars, it's childs play. Do-dilgence will certainly pay off for this car

bambam

sorry guys i reposted under bambam instead of ocbambam i lost all my passwords to emails i have new pics of car and the car has not been looked at by anyone yet , i have been out of town on a family emergency , but now i am back and appreciate all of your help and input

bambam

its funny how you guys like to smut a car up if no one call you back lol ! this is no replika lol it is a rolled car but not a fake lol it is a early ps pb ac 289 car, i thought you guys new what you were talking about when i came to this site to list this car?

gt/csj4

No one said it was a replica. We are simply saying that as an issue with some, not all early cars, Marti reports do not list them as being california specials, so certain precautionary measures need to ensue in order to preserve the cars lineage. It is very easy to duplicate a cal special in a exterior fashion, and unfortunately yes, some people do try and pull fast ones on these cars and sell them as fakes to unsuspecting buyers and the buyer(s) get burned so ya it's more being precautions on our parts rather then throwing red flags at you. And at best, we are all trying to wrap our brains around these cals and hcs because ford did such goofy things back then, and not one cal or high country is the same as the next which makes these cars so damn interesting. When I PERSONALLY see the same listing at a higher price, with the same contact number, the user name s changed, and the name is shortened, of course it sends a message to me that you are trying to push this car over someones head. I undoubtably know this is not at all what you're trying to do, however, if you are going to re-list your car under a different member name, perhaps you could concisely stat why you had to change your name so it leaves other members, or those looking to buy or even look at your car, at ease. No harm no foul Dan, If we knew (or rather if Mike knew) your car, without a shred of doubt was the real deal, then of course it would be added to the registry. It is this very reason why he or Bob do not just add any 8R01xxxxx to the registry without making sure, and cross-referencing to the fact of the said car of being real...if they did, we would have a mess on our hands and the registry would be for nothing... if that makes sense

Last edited:

Midnight Special

its funny how you guys like to smut a car up if no one call you back lol ! this is no replika lol it is a rolled car but not a fake lol it is a early ps pb ac 289 car, i thought you guys new what you were talking about when i came to this site to list this car?

...What "gt/csj4" stated makes perfect sense. The prior registry had numerous clones and errors listed that were based on assumptions before Mike and the collective group took it over. We're lucky to have them!

"bambam", you would do better to be as scientific and cooperative about letting them help you. Otherwise..... Happy trails and good luck!

Mosesatm

Bambam,
I assure you we are not a bunch of bozos who don't understand these cars, but since you are determined to challenge us here goes.

Your car has serious GT/CS identification issues in that the driver's side script doesn't line up correctly and there are horse emblems on the front fenders. Those two serious flaws, plus the fact that the Marti report does not list it as a California Special certainly get our attention.

Normally it's three strikes and you're out, but since this is an early car we're trying to give you the benefit of the doubt by figuring out if Ford did something goofy with such cars.

Because the car has those three issues we must assume it's a clone and it's up to you to prove otherwise. To that end, hopefully one of our members who live near you will overlook your comments in the previous post and will be willing to inspect the car for you to see if there may be some glimmer of hope that it is a GT/CS.

Last edited:

TexAg

bambam,

I'm just trying to re-create in my mind, exactly how it was "rolled". How do you roll a car at 10 mph, unless you drop it off of a trailer, or fork-lift? Was it driven off an embankment?

gt/csj4

bambam,

I'm just trying to re-create in my mind, exactly how it was "rolled". How do you roll a car at 10 mph, unless you drop it off of a trailer, or fork-lift? Was it driven off an embankment?

45 degree sloped curbs can be tricky business if you're not careful :wink:

dalorzo_f

Who does the dealer number refer to? If East Coast kinda a giveaway! Do other GT/CS's share it, correct geographical location for resale? Not categorical by any means but could be one more factoid to consider...