• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Instrument panel lights

retroman99

I continue to work out the bugs. I noticed the other night that the instrument panel lighting fades in and out during low RPM. I have new alternator and battery and new alloy metal products harnesses. head lights do not appear to be doing it nor does the voltage gauge or any of the gauges move irregularly. any thoughts?

CougarCJ

Vintage Ford alternators did not charge at idle speed rpm's.

A lot of owners notice that their headlights also dim when they come to a stop light at night.

OP
OP
R

retroman99

A solid state Voltage Regulator MIGHT help.

Neil

the alternator is newly rebuilt. and the voltage regulator (Blue) is new as well not sure if it is solid state. are you talking about the IVR attached to the back of the instrument panel? headlight switch is new as well

franklinair

The Voltage Regulator is mounted on the left side of the radiator core support. A Solid State Voltage Regulator is recognizable due to the Cover is not as tall as the old 'points' type V/R.
If you're concerned about original appearance, the old (taller) cover can be mounted on the new solid state regulator base.

Neil