• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 4 speed clutch pedal and linkage

robert campbell

Help.
I am doing a header conversion to Ford Powertrain Applications headers on Val's 1967 Fastback. Put them on my GNS and loved them. The tuck up very tight.

Anyway this car was a GTA and I added a clutch pedal later. Of note the brake pedal and the clutch pedal do not share the same pivot point in the pedal support on this car. There was a lower set of bushings and they fit the pedal I got just fine I think. Something is nagging me that I had to shorten the pedal to match the brake.

I think I have a 65/66 clutch pedal. It also does not have a bracket welded to it for the clutch rod to attach to that goes through the fire wall.

Does anyone have pictures of a correct pedal for a 68 manual car? Also is it shorter that the brake pedal and use a lower set of bushings in the pedal support?

Rob

CougarCJ

Rob, this is a 1968 pedal setup.

Disc brake pedals are longer than drum brake pedals. On a 1967 I have heard that sometimes you need to drill a pivot hole for disc brake pedals.

Manual drum brake pedals are about the same length as clutch pedals.

1968 brake pedals will work in either 1967 or 1968. A 1967 brake pedal will not work in a 1968, due to the thicker collapsible steering column in 1968.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Scott,
Name on your picture says Maverick assembly. Is there a pic I am missing?

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Scott,
Done some research myself. Val's car is a power disc car and looking in Mustangs plus it appears, as you say, it is way longer that the clutch pedal and uses a totally different set of holes to pivot on. Pretty sure I have a 65/66 clutch pedal.... As always, money will solve this problem!!!

Rob

CougarCJ

Whoops, fixed it.

This is from my 1968 XR7.

I will have to dig for another picture.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Scott,
That is what I am seeing. The one I have does not have the bracket on the side for the clutch rod. And I can see I shortened it..... roh roo.....

Rob