• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

how much should i sell my gold nugget special for

mach2

ok i have made a decision . I'm resonabley sure that I.ll never get the time to restore my gns so i guess ill sell it. i know that they are rare (525 built) and i know that they never seem to come up for sale ( at least i've never seen one. its just a shell ,but thats ok ,a good restoration start at the begining anyway. its got good quarters and 1 small rust hole in the floor ,but the roof is swiss cheese. i know that there is a classified section ,but im not ready to post there yet(gotta do my reserch first) . any ideas would be great.

Midnight Special

ok i have made a decision . I'm resonabley sure that I.ll never get the time to restore my gns so i guess ill sell it. i know that they are rare (525 built) and i know that they never seem to come up for sale ( at least i've never seen one. its just a shell ,but thats ok ,a good restoration start at the begining anyway. its got good quarters and 1 small rust hole in the floor ,but the roof is swiss cheese. i know that there is a classified section ,but im not ready to post there yet(gotta do my reserch first) . any ideas would be great.

...Please begin with detailed photos, list of original parts (that aren't currently on the "shell") and verification it's a true GNS. There was one listed for sale here recently...

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5790

OP
OP
M

mach2

ok vin #8r01c124542 dso 741111 body code 65a (2 door ht standard interior) color y5(sunlit gold met w/ flat black hood) trim 2y (nugget gold crinkle vinyl, and nugget gold kiwi vinal ,standard interior) dso (74111) axle (2) 2.79:1 conventional trans w (c4)

Attachments

• !cid_12.jpg
    !cid_12.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 25
  • gns3.jpg
    gns3.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 33
  • !cid_139.jpg
    !cid_139.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 25
  • !cid_315.jpg
    !cid_315.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 27
  • !cid_215.jpg
    !cid_215.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 40
  • !cid_117.jpg
    !cid_117.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 34
  • !cid_418.jpg
    !cid_418.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 32
  • !cid_652.jpg
    !cid_652.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 38

rvrtrash

Unfortunately, rare doesn't always translate into big money on the retail market, and I think the average person is just going to see a coupe shell needing everything. Do you have the doors, front end, interior parts, drivetrain with it? It's hard to tell from pictures, but it looks to me like the roof can be saved by welding patches into the holes, but it would definately make people see dollar signs to fix. Your location also would make a difference in what it's worth. A larger audience increases your potential. Where I live, I bet I could pick up something similar for $100.00 or so. I'm not trying to be hard, just trying to give my honest opinion.

Steve :sad:

J.Bart

for a reference point: i sold a 67 mustang coupe, a years or so ago.
6 cyl sus. no motor, trans, fenders,front parts. had good hood, interior,clutch pedals, body in good shape except one spot( fist size ding).
doors from a different car.:: i got $2000.00

CougarCJ

I would have to agree with Steve, likely to not get much of a premium over a coupe-shell project in that condition.

Your best hope is to find someone that has a connection to a new, Gold Nugget Special. You know, find that person whose favorite teacher or aunt had one from new.

I am kind of a student of many things Ford. I made some notes years ago from old Mustang Monthly magazines whenever "specials" were mentioned.

The HCS is pretty well known here on the GT/CS site, in addition there are also lots of other regional promotional cars.

Ski Country Special
DSO 51, I think 51005.
items included: limited slip differential, blank paint code, brass badge, ski rack, 2 snow tires, coffee bar. 5 color choices (blank paint code) Aspen Red, Loveland Green, Vail Blue, Breckenridge Yellow, and Winter Park Turquoise.

Ski Pac Special on Cougars in 1969, DSO 512115-512148. Not much known about those, probably similar to the Mustang. Per Kevin Marti they made 137 units.

Rainbow Color Mustangs 1968
Sold on the west coast San Jose, Los Angeles, and Seattle.
Madagaskar Orange, Whipped Cream, Spanish Gold, Dandelian Yellow, Hot Pink, Carribean Coral, Forest Green, Sierra Blue, & Moss Green.
Not sure if these were blank paint codes or fancy names for existing colors.

Lone Star Limited and/or Blue Bonnet Special
Dallas DSO 615036 & 615160
1967 Sport Sprint w/special color.
Had a Lone Star emblem.

Twister Specials 1970
Mustang and Torino
Kansas City DSO 53
Torino's all were 429CJ/SCJ's. :wink:

Sidewinder Special 1970
Mustang Sport Roof
Omaha DSO 54
Calypso Coral or grabber colored.
M, R, or Q code engines.

Some lesser knowns:

1967 Mustang convertible St. Patrick's Day Special.
Only in Emerald Green.

1968 Explorer Specials
F100/F250 pickups.
Royal Maroon, Yucatan Gold.

1968 Rocky Mountain Sportsman's Special
Bronco, F100, F250
Painted Boulder Bronze, Mountain Green, Sky Blue

1968 Winchester Special
Bronco
I think that these came with a Pony Express bag.
May have been a precursor to the Eddie Bauer ediitions?

1972 & 1973 Spring Special Package or Bronze Age Package.
Across the Mercury lineup

franklinair

First, a Marti report to confirm GNS. From the description, its a really basic body-only project, No doors, front fenders, interior, engine, trans, driveshaft, plus hundreds of misc parts. IF someone had a donor car with a reasonable amount of transferable parts, its a do-able project. Costly and a LOT of work. I am not familiar with current market value of this particular model, but to be practical one would have to be able to complete the resto for $15K max. Location is also a factor. A complete, rotisserie resto would be required. A hobbyist with the ability & desire to undertake the project is probably more rare than the car itself. A professional resto shop cost would be prohibitive for the extent of work this car needs. Best of luck.

Neil Hoppe

Mustanglvr

This is a rare car and I think there are plenty of people who would be interested in buying it and restoring it. Put it up for auction on Ebay with a reserve price. I think you would be surprised at what it could bring.

RedGTvert

This is a rare car and I think there are plenty of people who would be interested in buying it and restoring it. Put it up for auction on Ebay with a reserve price. I think you would be surprised at what it could bring.

Sure, that may happen, but as stated earlier, rare does not always equate to dollars. There is one up on Ebay right now, granted, wrong color, but that can be fixed at some point, well restored, that has not even gotten the opening bid of $10K.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8R01...oryZ6236QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OP
OP
M

mach2

wow thanks for all the imput , and nice job on the list cj , lots of cool info that i didnt know. the gns came with a decent 67 coupe that is complete .it would make a good doner car .its a runner driver but its got some pretty extensive rear damage,and the interior is black so to be correct i would of course have to redo the interior anyway. i kinda hate to gut it cause its so fun to drive. so i dont know what ill do yet .i may put them both on craigs list as a pair and see what that brings. or mabey ill just see what happens with the gns on ebay. thats a real crapshoot ive seen some ugly hulks go for some big money and some gems just sit. ya never know