• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Hood Locks

PFSlim

Just wanted to make sure before I installed our hood locks. The large washer goes next to hood, then spring, then hood lock. So, when the hood lock is down and locked, there is a small space, the size of the compressed spring, between washer and hood lock. Is that correct?

On the spring, does it go small in down or small end up?

Paul

rvrtrash

That is correct, but I can't tell you which way the spring goes because I just got back from dropping the car off to have the headliner installed. Also, someone earlier mentioned putting an additional washer on the underside. I thought that was a good idea and found a fender washer at the local hardware store the exact size of the one on top, so I glued it to the bottom of the hood. I thought it would be easier to keep the hood locks from disappearing this way.
Steve

P

PNewitt

You have it right--The large diameter of the spring goes against the top of the large washer. The underside of the washer is supposed to be self-adhesive. You might want to not remove the backing paper, and close the hood, and twist the pins in place (assuming that the retainers are properly in place. Then use masking tape and mark where the big washer should sit, as in the "secured" position.

This will take some adjustment, but non-aligned hood pins are a nightmare if you open the hood a lot. They should not go "pop", like something broke if they (and the retainers) are aligned properly.

And oh, yes, make sure that the hood is aligned on the hinges before doing this with the pins.

Paul N.

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Thanks Paul and to everyone else. Our hood is on and works perfectly. Looking forward to installing the new hood locks. ;D ;D ;D

Paul