• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

289/302 engine dry weight?

miller511

Hi all,

Does anyone know (roughly) what a stock 289/302 engine weighs in at? (with or without the accessories on the front)? Less than or more than 500 pounds?

Thanks, Jeff

Perkchiro

You know it amazed me that during my trips to the machine shop, I was able to lift my 302 block in and out of my SUV with no problems. (No, I'm not that strong). The point is the block itself is probably no more than 125 pounds (my guess). The weight really adds quickly as the engine takes on the crank, pistons, cam, damper, heads and intake, exhaust manifolds and other goodies. I often admired the engines potential to make so many horses come out of such a small, light weight engine. Just my thoughts.

OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Thanks for info guys. I'm getting ready to either rebuild the existing engine or get something new.

If my car could talk!! Here's what I've found-

The casting and VIN numbers on my engine indicate some interesting goings-on in the past...

I thought I had a 289 all this time!!!

302 Block Stamp No. decoded 1970 block assembled at Twin Cities (St. Paul, MN)VIN No OP151930
Intake Manifold (2- barrel) No. decoded 1977 D70E-AC
Exhaust manifold No decoded 1966 C6OE
Cylinder head No decoded 1973 November 16 3K16

-Jeff

cnassif

What's the best way to transport an old engine (needing rebuild) in a truck? Do you put it on a pallet and tie it down? Is there some other way?