• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Vinyl top option: Will it be in Marti Report?

classicsguy

I believe that this was discussed a long time ago but can't remember. If the car came with factory vinyl top it should be on the Marti report, right? I know if car has vinyl top it might be dealer installed or aftermarket but if it came from Ford it definetly has to be on Marti report. Any owners with vinyl top cars that have Marti report with the vinyl top option included?

CalPaul

Hmmmm.....now you have me wondering. I have a vinyl top but its not listed on the Marti. Marti shows the 65A (hardtop). Any other vinyls out there to chime in?

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

The question came up since today I got a Marti report on a 1968 GT/CS that is for sale locally and the car has everything exactly as described on Marti but it does not say about the vinyl top. Let's see what other people say about this topic.

68gt390

The Marti Report on both my cars shows the Vinyl Top as an option on each car. Black vinyl roof, GT/CS and Parchment vinyl roof on my GT.

Don :D

quicknick

The vinyl top option is on my CS's deluxe report as well. However, my old 68 coupe had a dealer installed vinyl top and chrome GT wheels. Neither showed up on the deluxe Marti report. The car was purchased new from Al Long Ford in Warren Michigan. The wheels came over the parts counter, and the top was farmed out to a local trim shop down the street in order to make the sale.
My CS was purchased from the original owner who negotiated a set of GT wheels from the dealer when he bought the car. He claims the dealer robbed them off another car on the lot just to make the sale. The wheels do not show up on the report either. It states "Deluxe Wheel Covers".

68gt390

That just goes to show you how much weird stuff was done to these cars before they even got to the buying public. Or what was done just to make a sale by the dealer.

I know when I started decoding the door tag on my GT after I bought it I noticed the rearend gear didn't even match when I rebuilt it. As close as I can figure and from what several restoration shops have told me, the car was on the line during the strike (based on build date Nov 67). Once the strike was over they just shoved what ever gears they had on hand in it to get it off the line. Heck, the car was 89 days behind schedule as it was. Hard to say.

Don ;)