• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Engine weight, alum. V. Cast Iron

somethingspecial

Does anyone know how much weight loss you gain using Aluminum "Edelbrock" heads and Aluminum intake manifold (original P.I.) on the Ford FE engines? I am again thinking about putting a 428 PI engine in my driver CS. I need heads and would like to use the "Edelbrock" heads and I have the original Aluminum P.I. intake. How much weight difference is there with this v. Cast Iron, and how close is the lighter weight FE compared to a fully equiped small block? I'm hoping the weight is closer to the small block for handling issues. Mike

di81977

Looks like it could be closer to a 50 lbs savings with the alum intake. Those FE cast intakes are HEAVY!!! http://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/viewexperience.cgi?experience_id=134

I'd guess the difference between a fully fitted out (with cast iron intake and heads) small block and big block is close to 150 lbs.

Personnally, I'd do go with a 351W stroker motor. Lighter, cheaper, and you can change your spark plugs in less than a day!

GT/CS S Code

Come again?

Does anyone know how much weight loss you gain ...

Is that an "oxymoron"? How much weight loss do you gain?
(I'd love to know how much weight loss I could gain!)
:grin:
All kidding aside, I think that they are right. Big engine, big heavy parts, and in aluminum there should be a substantial weight savings. ... and I agree with his comment on the spark plugs! We're going to pull the motor on our "S" code to install the new headers this year, and while it's out of the car we're going to install new spark plugs ... whether it needs them or not!
:rolleyes:

Midnight Special

...Interesting, but I have no problem getting to all the plugs of my 390 on the '68. The '69 is another story.

Mike, that sounds exciting! Are you going for total performance, or a classy remake of an R-code GT/CS (or both:) ? A driver FE 4-speed (to me) would be very cool compared to a stroked small block.

Best of luck on a neat project!

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

I knew I would get questioned on the "Weight loss/Gain" comment. LOL I'm looking at performance upgrades, i.e. Possibly 8V intake, or stock P.I. 4V. Aluminum heads, 5 Speed etc. I have a stock (To stock to drive) car which I love, but it is time for a nice HOT ROD! I have both of the intakes now, The 8V is an "Offy" intake which takes AFB carbs. Old school NIB Mallory dual point dist. 9 inch 3L50 Traction Lock rear. Possibly RDB. The car will still look stock in most respects, I won't make any changes which could not be reversed. The engine and trans in there now are not original to the car. Mike

dalorzo_f

I'd do go with a 351W stroker motor. Lighter, cheaper, and you can change your spark plugs in less than a day!

Yes, but it just doesn't look as good as this;

CIMG0019.jpg

convert_04.jpg

Go FE!!!

I'd guess ~100lbs savings, I "can" lift my OEM 390 "S" intake, but its a fair weight and ya gotta be ready. The alloy Performer I put on I can lift easlily with one hand... I'd guess 50+ savings right there...

390cs68rcode

Looks like it could be closer to a 50 lbs savings with the alum intake. Those FE cast intakes are HEAVY!!! http://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/viewexperience.cgi?experience_id=134

I'd guess the difference between a fully fitted out (with cast iron intake and heads) small block and big block is close to 150 lbs.

Personnally, I'd do go with a 351W stroker motor. Lighter, cheaper, and you can change your spark plugs in less than a day!

I had 3 68.5 CJ intakes at one point. The 428cobrajet site says the iron ones weigh 75 pounds. Personally I don't think the weigh quite that much but probably close. The site also states the police interceptor intakes from back in the day were probably 25 lbs. Lighter and were aluminum.

Find out what the intake you are talking about and we might be able to narrow down the savings. I should dig out the photo of my 68 CJ short block in the trunk of my Mercedes. Lol

robert campbell

Something like this!!!! I put this togerther for my b-in-laws 67 Fastback. 6 Rochester 2 jets!

HerbsEngine-1.jpg

By the way, he has a PI album if you want it. They are rated as the best Ford FE intake ever for overall performance. Better than the sidewinder.

Mike,
Would love to help you. Lots of FE experince.

The above moter has edelbrock aluminum heads with Sig Erson roller rocker kit. I put this engine togehter and have lots of insite of the ins and outs.

Free experience if you want it!

Rob

GT/CS S Code

Do the big block ...

Forecast for the next few days is rain here in Victoria, so I took the GT/CS out for a cruise tonight before it's relegated to the garage for a week or so. I ran it out the Pat Bay Highway to Sidney and back, and did about a 15 or 20 mile round trip cruise altogether.
Put the 390 FE big block in your car! You just can't beat that deep throaty exhaust sound or the monster torque of a big block when you tap the gas.
I had WAAAAAY too much fun tonight ...

Attachments

• Costco Show and Shine May 23rd 2011 004.jpg
    Costco Show and Shine May 23rd 2011 004.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

After Googling the engine weights it appears the small block weighs 460# and the FE weighs 625#. It doesn't state, but I assume they are talking w/o accessories, exhaust manifolds and using all cast iron parts. Based on your responses here, it would seem reasonable to assume with Aluminum parts on the FE the weight is getting pretty darn close to a small block. Still heavy, but my main concern is the handling. Any more advise is certainly welcome. Please, give me any variable you can think of to help with my decision. I have always liked the FE and it is my engine of choice. Mike

I weighed a complete cast iron FE head and it weighs in at 53#. Per Edelbrock, the shipping weight of the Edelbrock head with valves is 31#.

Last edited:

dalorzo_f

Ford docs I have note 460-465 for most 289's, 465-475 for 302's, 510(w)/525(c) for 351's and 600 for the 390's. Weights are noted as "less alt, starter, belts, fan, and air cleaner.

Also show 40 lb savings on cast iron vs aluminum for the 428's.