• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Poor Man's Shelby

Mosesatm

Here is the description for the blue GT/CS in Sacramento that was on eBay. The seller seemed to know what he was talking about until he got to the highlighted line. Since when did Shelbys have 289 2Vs?

Mint 68 Mustang California Special – Similar to a Shelby

This is one of the finest 1968 Mustangs “California Special” around! I just finished restoring it and this baby is really sweet. A numbers matching car, plus lived its ENTIRE life in California. All original metal and NO RUST!

I also have a MartiAutoWorks report on the car.

The vin number is 8R01C1477796

I believe the California Special will grow in value more than any other cars within the next couple of years! This car has the potential to double in price within a couple of years! Why? Because it is almost a Shelby, and some call it a poor man’s Shelby because it includes many of the Shelby original parts (Trunk, side scoops, flood lights, hood pins, tail lights, front disc brakes.) In addition, Mr. Shelby was involved with the design, and production of this car. A 68 Shelby w/ a similar engine is going for close to $100k in mint condition (similar condition as this baby), and you can own his very rare in mint condition car for less than $25K! Only 4,118 California Specials ever built and many are wrecked and gone, which means the supply is limited and lots of people that want a car that can be associated with the original Shelby Cobra Mustangs because they cannot afford to buy a Shelby Cobra Mustang. The bottom line is you cannot find a better investment where you can play with it for a couple of years and sell it and make your investment back plus more!!

rvrtrash

Plus, I think it would be a stretch to say Shelby was involved in the design (I know about Little Red/ Green Hornet, but the CS wasn't the intended result) and I don't believe he had anything to do with the production, since Ford was building the Shelby's in '68. I think our cars are unique and desireable enough on their own without fudging the truth. Saying they have Shelby features is OK but saying the great one himself built them is a bit much.
Steve

Mustanglvr

Mosesatm said:
Here is the description for the blue GT/CS in Sacramento that was on eBay. The seller seemed to know what he was talking about until he got to the highlighted line. Since when did Shelbys have 289 2Vs?

Mint 68 Mustang California Special – Similar to a Shelby

This is one of the finest 1968 Mustangs “California Special” around! I just finished restoring it and this baby is really sweet. A numbers matching car, plus lived its ENTIRE life in California. All original metal and NO RUST!

I also have a MartiAutoWorks report on the car.

The vin number is 8R01C1477796

I believe the California Special will grow in value more than any other cars within the next couple of years! This car has the potential to double in price within a couple of years! Why? Because it is almost a Shelby, and some call it a poor man’s Shelby because it includes many of the Shelby original parts (Trunk, side scoops, flood lights, hood pins, tail lights, front disc brakes.) In addition, Mr. Shelby was involved with the design, and production of this car. A 68 Shelby w/ a similar engine is going for close to $100k in mint condition (similar condition as this baby), and you can own his very rare in mint condition car for less than $25K! Only 4,118 California Specials ever built and many are wrecked and gone, which means the supply is limited and lots of people that want a car that can be associated with the original Shelby Cobra Mustangs because they cannot afford to buy a Shelby Cobra Mustang. The bottom line is you cannot find a better investment where you can play with it for a couple of years and sell it and make your investment back plus more!!

I think he was comparing the 289 to the 302 in the GT350 when he said "similar engine".

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Rhonda, I agree with you about the 289 vs 302 comparison but I also think he's being quite creative in his analogy. It's like saying that a 283 is the same as a 350.