• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 door grille template

cool68

hello i,m going to be installing the door grilles for the speakers and door lights...does anyone have a template to do the grilles,speakers, and door lights....and how do i drill the door jams and doors for the harness for the speakers and door lights....any info would help:smile:...

robert campbell

Marty,
Brett from Monroe WA has it. It now has the speaker location in it also. I can't remember his GT/CS name.

Rob

68 special

Yes, I have it and if you send me your address, I'll forward it on.

I haven't had a chance use it so, I might try and copy it before sending it on.

Thanks,
Bret

OP
OP
cool68

cool68

thank you

Yes, I have it and if you send me your address, I'll forward it on.

I haven't had a chance use it so, I might try and copy it before sending it on.

Thanks,
Bret
hey bret..... i think i,m going to go with the same shade of yellow you went with..man you CS looks nice...it really motivate me...thanks:smile:

dalorzo_f

Interesting, would have thought you hold it up to the door where you want it, mark the screw holes. Pull it off, hold the light and speaker to the back and see where they need to go and then transfer the outline off the grille to the door.. ????

Maybe that doesn't work for some reason, never tried it.

I was going to add them but decided to just get some neodymium magnets, embed then in the back of the grill, and stick them to the lower door. Add the look, kinda, but avoid cutting. May try to figure out some battery operated LED light to embed with a magnetic swith to turn on when the door opens, but that's only one more wild idea I have when insomnia kicks in and I'm thinking about the project...!!!

68 special

Thanks for the compliment on the my CS. Looks way better from 20 feet, but then again I know where all the flaws are. It is an '05 Mustang Screaming Yellow.

Thank,
Bret

robert campbell

The template that Marty did from his deluxe door locates the door light holes perfectly. It would be very hard to duplicate the location without a correct template. And I added the location of the door speaker hole and the proper location and size of the speaker cutout. Not to mention the exact hole size and dimensions for the factory speakers for those who want to use Ford speakers. I am not a concurs guy, but if you wish to duplicate the original, then you need a template.

Rob

dalorzo_f

So... I went out to the garage and held a grille up to the door. I can mark where the screws go.

I remove the grille, put it face down and place a speaker and light on the backside where they need to go. I make an outline. I transfer that to the door...

What am I missing that makes a template madatory?

Ruppstang

No one said that it was not possible. Just easier and more accurate. The screws mount in a square insert that must be centered If you miss the speaker hole by 1/4 of an inch it will show out side of the grill. Measure twice and cut once in IMHO.

robert campbell

So... I went out to the garage and held a grille up to the door. I can mark where the screws go.

I remove the grille, put it face down and place a speaker and light on the backside where they need to go. I make an outline. I transfer that to the door...

What am I missing that makes a template madatory?

I used Marty's template to accurately locate the door lights. I used a factory Ford door speaker from 1967/1968 to size the speaker hole and the location of the speaker mounting holes.

I am not a concurs guy, but was working on a customer car and felt the need to duplicate the factory specifications for adding this option as best I could.

Yes, you can just use the grill and locate the speaker and door light as best you can. No one will more than likely no the difference.

Not the way I do work for customers that walk in my door. Marty, thank you for the template.

Rob

68 special

Thanks Rob and Marty,

But for me, I'd rather use what has been tried and proven than to take a chance with hit and miss.

So, if anyone else would like the template, PM me your address and I'll forward it.

Thanks,
Bret

somethingspecial

Is this template rigid, or can it be folded up. Is this a template we would want to put with all the original Blueprints for safe keeping/future reference?

robert campbell

Marty did it off a deluxe door he had. It is brown paper and can be folded and it gets you right in the ball park. It is not an original blueprint, but close enough to duplicate a standard door. I was very happy with Marty's template and duplicated a more rigid one for my future use. It is as good as you can get in my opinion.

Thanks Marty!!

Rob

somethingspecial

If someone wants to send me a brown paper template, I would love to add it to the blueprints. Rob, I knew it wasn't an original blueprint, just wanted to add it to the archives. Thanks. Mike

Ruppstang

Mike I have to make some for someone else I can send one to you too.
I am glad it has been useful, I remember how nervous I was cutting on my newly restored doors.
Marty