• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Good news / Bad news from the 2011 Recognition Guide

Mark Puls

No Books Yet in Ohio

I have been waiting patiently for both books to show up on my door step here in Ohio. Good to hear that all those east of me are in the same situation.

Always interested in hearing about mistakes so I can create my own addendum to the book.

Mark

carezcs

Well I'm still waiting for mine and I only live 300 miles south of Danville. Run out to the mail box everyday. Guess it's coming by Pony Express. Could have driven up there and back in one day. Oh well.
Bruce

Midnight Special

Well I'm still waiting for mine .... Guess it's coming by Pony Express. ... Oh well.
Bruce

...Hang in there Bruce! I think we passed 'em yesterday ;-)

Attachments

• pony.jpg
    pony.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 42

carezcs

Thanks for the update Tim! Maybe you could loan them a GPS in case they can't find Saugus from there. I know it will get here eventually because all the other updates from Paul found their way here!
Bruce

robert campbell

Received my copy of the book.

The good news is my GT/CS is one of the very early hand built cars.

The bad news is that it is listed incorrectly as a C code 289. With a former owners name. Listed with an "M" for Marti Report, but the door data plate information is incomplete.

For those that wish to make a footnote on a piece of paper with the correct information, my door data plate information is as follows:

8R01J137614
65A W 2Y 05B 71 5 W

OldYeller.jpg

Scott,
Is there any info in the "new" book to clarify your early car. Or is is still the mystery it was before?

Rob

OP
OP
CougarCJ

CougarCJ

Scott,
Is there any info in the "new" book to clarify your early car. Or is is still the mystery it was before?

Rob
The first 200 GT/CS cars built Jan 15th to Feb 15th, with the painted recessed reflectors were the ones destined to 'fill the pipeline' or the first cars to be shipped to the dealers. These would be VIN numbers 130xxx - 143xxx.

My GT/CS is listed 16th from the top. Paul's information says that cars with VIN #'s 130xxx-137xxx (or beyond) are "definately" hand built, his estimate is as little as 50 cars or as many as 100 were hand built.

Only 1 of the cars that was on stage is identified in the book. Mine could not be one of those cars, my interior is wrong for the single Springtime Yellow car.

OP
OP
CougarCJ

CougarCJ

What does, "hand built" mean?

I presume outside of the regular assembly line.

Paul's book says "the first 50 to 100 GT/CS Mustangs required hand assembly of the specialty fiberlglass".

aemoo28

Look closely at the first few pages. Somehow mine is already a "second edition", first being in Feb. WTF is "second edition"?

In other news, took this book to the first car show in Sea and I had flocks of people surrounding Satan to see the book. Many folks don't have theirs quite yet and are mucho excited. Flocked, they did. Equally happy to see the "Ca Spec Way of Life". Showed it to many CS peeps old and young.

BroadwayBlue

I have been waiting patiently for both books to show up on my door step here in Ohio. Good to hear that all those east of me are in the same situation.

Always interested in hearing about mistakes so I can create my own addendum to the book.

Mark

Hi Mark,
My books arrived on Saturday via USPS.

carezcs

Good news, I got mine today. Bad news! I am now listed as Coleen Carey the owner of J139212. Oh well at least I now who I am.
Bruce (Coleen) Carey

robert campbell

I presume outside of the regular assembly line.

Paul's book says "the first 50 to 100 GT/CS Mustangs required hand assembly of the specialty fiberlglass".

So, the first 50 to 100 cars were hand assembled according to the new book. That is a huge range. And the first book claimed that the cars on the stage at the debut all had “hand made” scripts on the rear quarters. Just in time for the debut. The GT/CS Mustang was not really endorsed by the SoCal dealers until the last part of January, but cars built at the end of January have a “California Special” option on their Marti report. Ok, I got it.....

So cars could be or were ordered from Ford with a check mark on a “California Special” option on an order sheet? So prior to the debut, a GT/CS could be ordered? Or did the dealers make these orders? Or who?

So again, the Marti report with a “California Special” option is without a doubt definitive proof, of a true GT/CS. That is correct! But again the book falls short on whether some early cars were bucked, staged, and “hand assembled” into GT/CS cars, but the Marti report would not confirm that.... They were already ordered and assembled on the line without being ordered as a GT/CS. The mystery continues and is not solved by the new book.

I feel that some of the earliest cars with all the GT/CS option on them, were not clones or dealer assembled. They were early cars already at the end of the line and converted as “hand built” cars into GT/CS cars by Ford. Not sure if my car or Janice Brulc’s car are two of them or not. They were built within two days of each other and have the original Ford GT/CS fiber glass on them. Both delivered to Seattle area DSO’s

The mystery continues. But there may be other cars besides these that are not verified by Marti, but were “hand assembled” prior to the debut.

Rob

68CaliSp

Glad to see my VIN was right, but listed as not having a Marty Report and missing data plate info. I have the Marty posted in my gallery and data plate reads as:
65A F 2A 21C 71 2 W.

robert campbell

Wow,
You would think that the book would get it right for cars on this site withposted Marti reports. One mistake after another. Where does it end and the comment "gosh it is a big book with lots of words" starts to ring hollow. The registry in this book is supposed to be a guide to real GT/CS and HCS cars. It seems to fall far short of that.

Rob

Last edited:

zozobra

Still waiting?

I was wondering if anybody who paid for their book several years ago is still waiting. I have no real sense of how many were pre-ordered before mine and, hence how long it takes to ship that number out. As I remember Paul was going to send them out based on when the order in which they were ordered and paid.

I anxiously await mine.

Sarge

Still waiting for my books here in Sacramento. Tried to find a "customer service" link somewhere on the PMN Design site so I could ask Paul. No such luck.
Robert