• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Who restored your GT/CS?

classicsguy

For those that do not have the restoration skills required to restore a classic Mustang,tell us which shop restored your GT/CS and how was your experience with them. Would you recommend them to a friend? Post here the name of shop and website if any. That will help other members in case they need their services in the City and State where restoration shop is located.

PFSlim

We did most of the restoration ourselves. However, I had a local painter and interior guy help us with the paint and interior here in Kansas City.

Nothing like doing it yourself!!

Paul

J_Speegle

I will bet you will find that the vast majority of the Mustang restorations are done mostly by their owners with help from friends. Generally the value of these cars it normally does not make sense to pay someone else to do the work.

The other difficulty is that there are very very few shops that can do a true restoration on every Mustang and get everything correct given all the years, options, plant differences. Often owners find indiviuals that have restored a number of cars yet do it as a sideline. Always confirm and contact references. "My cars have won....." is not good enough as standards and such have changed allot over the years.

Hate to see when a Calif Special is restored like a 66 Dearborn Mustang :( or other Mustang. And we see it all the time

If you must find a shop you are doing the right thing by trying to find someone who has already done a number of these cars and recognizes the differences from the normal Mustangs and from other plants.

Hope this helps a little though it does not directly answer your question

Gatorbait

If you get answers to this question elsewhere, please come back and post the suggestions. I tried this thread a while back with little luck due to all these great do-it-yourselfers on this board.

Perkchiro

I am doing my own restoration but there are some things I've had done such as front end alignment and headliner installation. I'm planning on front and rear glass installation by a glass shop too. I had the body work, sheet metal replacement and paint completed by outside sources also. This has been a labor of love and enjoyment. If you have any mechanical inclinations at all, I would recommend that you direct your own restoration. Those that are on this site will be available and give you answers to your questions. There are many books available on engine rebuilding and restoration. Good luck as you pursue restoration of your CS!

RedGTvert

Well I am one of those guys who you do not want to put tools in their hands. Seriously though, I like having a classic, but really do not have the time or space to do the resto properly, although I am hoping my next aquisition will be something that I can get my hands a little dirty with.

That being said, I send my cars up to JD's Auto up in Huntingdon Valley, PA. He did most of the work on this car that I ran through Barrett this past spring, the res is kind of low, but it will show the kind of work he does.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njHriHZajaY

He does a lot of performance work, but was forced by his customersd into doing resto work about 7 years ago when he restored an old Rolls Royce that was once owned by Jacquiline Kennedy Onasis. It was a freaking wreck and took about 3 years to complete. Since then he has taken on more and more resto work, and recently took over the body shop that was next to him, and increasing his working space at the same time. Although he does restos on a lot of different cars, his knowledge is Fords, especially Mustangs.

He is a perfectionist, so keep that in mind when budgeting your project.

If you want any info feel free to e-mail or PM me. I am a bit biased, but he has earned that from me over the past 10 years.