• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Market Need New Mustang Resto Book??

PB GT/CS

Folks,

All of you are a knowledgable bunch. Question, is there room in the market for another Mustang Restoration Book? PFSlim and I were talking this morning wondering if we could help people with a "Restoring a Mustang on a Limited Budget" book. The thought is we would use some of our hundred or so photos of our restoration along with our experience and provide a step by step guide from tear down to show ready book. We would put it in a form that the user can leave it open on the bench while working. What do you all think? Suggestions for the Book?? Slim, did I miss anything in the question?

Brian

P

PNewitt

Simple answer: YES!

I've pondered doing something like this for quite a while. My books are pretty intense and comprehensive, too. The old Mustang Monthly books from the 1980's are pretty good, but they need updating.

So--would this be a '65-'73 book, or what years?

'65-66
'67-68
'69-70
'71-73
???

I agree--the combined knowledge of just this website's forum is pretty awesome!

This could be like a technical manual--but for the average reader, maybe novice.

Paul N.

OP
OP
P

PB GT/CS

Paul, thanks for the reply. Our idea is to make it for the novice and very, very understandable. Extensive use of Pics for the reader to get the visual. It was our experience with the books we had that we had a difficult time visualizing what they were talking about. As well, the bound books were nearly impossible to keep open as one worked on a certain part. Obviously our pics are best suited for 67/8, but most of the info would apply to 64.5 to 73 don't you think?

Brian

P

PNewitt

Making the binding lay flat is no problem. I'd also use a type of paper that is kinda grease-resistant, too.

My approach is to explain in a simple way--how the car is assembled, then the restorer could pick and choose at what point to start at. Such as, floor and frame, primer, body seals, then electrical, then interior, engine & drivetrain, etc. I don't think an engine teardown (or tranny) is worth getting into, although a concours detailing of engines, body, etc., would be covered.

See? you got me thinking....dang! :)

Paul N.

PFSlim

As Brian said, we have not completed a restoration on a "newer than" 1968 and curious to listen to those that have.

After we bought our car and brought it home, it was very difficult to use the manuals that are out there. We gained so much more information off the folks from this site - and finally once we obtained a copy of Paul's books. However, we still needed help from the outside on some things. We feel like we may be able to put together a book that is user friendly, written by users and includes many pictures.

Curious about the thoughts of the other members.

Paul

P

PNewitt

Remember to take lots of photos of the CS restoration--that I'll need for the book. It will premiere the restoration section--which is pretty big.

I'll contact you later about this--

Paul N.

PFSlim

Paul

You already have our pictures of our restoration. I sent a CD version to you. If you need more or something different, please let me know.

Paul

Perkchiro

Hey Guys, great Idea. Paul S., as you have, I have also been down this restoration road over the past three years. I've often thought about a simple resto book for our cars. I used a step by step engine rebuild guide that was great. Very simple and understandable, even if you're a novice. On the other hand, I have stuggled with electrical problems, and I have just charged through some of my resto issues, made mistakes and then had to redo it again. It would be nice to have a simple resource to know how to inspect a potential car for restoration. Where to look for rust in the most common areas. When to repair sheet metal or when to replace it. How to recondition or rebuild parts versus replacement. Also how to make a smart decision for a "full" ground up project versus a rolling project. Many, many topics could be discussed in such a book

Certainly, this would fill a great need for many. If I can be of help in this effort, let me know.

Good luck!
Steve

bbeatty

Brian and Paul,

There is always room for another quality automotive book. I must have 100 to 150 car related books and I ordered 3 more yesterday. I think there is a niche for Mustang restoration “cookbook” written for the novice. The books I have seemed to be very technical and short of pictures and practical advice, such as the shop manual, or more documentative in nature and filled with pictures of restored cars and are short on restoration know how, such as the book “Original Mustang” by Colin Date.

The book “101 Projects for your Mustang” by Earl Davis comes close to what you’re describing but it’s not a restoration book and not something I'd ever haul into the garage. I have a couple of great books about building hot rods that fall directly into the genre you’re describing, such as “How to build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod” by Mike Bishop and Vern Tardel and “The Hot Rodder’s Bible” by Gerry Burger. Those books haven’t left my side for the last four months. The ongoing series of the GT/CS being restored by Larry Lyles in the Auto Restorer magazine is also similar but is rather shallow compared to what I know you’ll do.

Brian, I know I've said it to you before, but with your wealth of automotive knowledge, you really should write a book. I think it would turnout great. The biggest problem I see with your plan your lack of experience with the earlier 64.5 to 66 cars and convertibles. Too bad you don’t know anyone that would actually donate a 64.5 convertible for you to take apart and photograph as part of contours restoration and pay all the bills as you went along!!!

rvrtrash

PNewitt said:
Remember to take lots of photos of the CS restoration--that I'll need for the book. It will premiere the restoration section--which is pretty big.

I'll contact you later about this--

Paul N.

Paul, I sent you a CD with my pictures also a couple of months ago. I emailed you for verification you got it but I know you were busy then. Did you receive it. It actually had a CD and a DVD in it.
Steve

hookedtrout

Not sure how many of you have been following the GT/CS restoration project in Auto Restorer magazine but it wouldn't surprise me if they make a book out of the project upon completion. The last magazine project was a Dodge Charger and they published the entire project in book form upon completion.

Cory

Diesel Donna

PFSlim.......Would the book be titled "Mustangs For Dummies" ??
I want the first issue!

~~~~Donna