• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Most Elusive Mustang Part?

miller511

Hey all.

In the spirit of the elusive CS tailight pig tail grommet, I'd like to hear what you all have otherwise been unable to find for a replacement part (Doesn't have to be CS specific).

For myself, it is the aqua door crank knob. I've been searching off and on for the last three years!!!

I know I can get some white ones and dye them, but that's not what I want to do ;-)

If anyone can locate these for me, I'll make it worth your while.

So, what on your Mustang can you absolutely NOT find a replacement part for?

-Jeff

CALIF GIRL

For me, the hardest part to find was the fan switch that controls the heat/air.
Finally got one about 6 months ago.

rvrtrash

Original and date code correct carb, distributor and rev limiter for a '71 Boss 351. :sad:

Steve

J_Speegle

It's pretty easy to come up with difficult to find parts if you focus on limited production models. Like the C80F-AA carbs that are selling for over $4000.

But consider items that are difficult to find that millions of Mustangs came with.

To that I would offer the following three items

1- An assembly line battery

2- A NOS early cardboard heater plenum

3- (a little more limited) a 64 1/2 automatic shift indicator bezel and lens for a console

rvrtrash

Mark your calender for April 13-15 to go to the swap meet in Portland. I'll be there---like always. :grin:

Steve

GTCSMustang

Well here’s my list:

1) J. Speegle is right, an assembly line battery
2) Original positive battery cable
3) Even harder, an original assembly line negative battery cable (one on ebay for $2K now)
4) Big block battery heat shield (especially gray)
5) Original assembly line air filter elements (not the service ones)
6) Original shocks dated to your car (especially Shelby)
7) Original TS headlights
8) Original tires (gotta have an NOS one for the trunk)
9) Original dated plug wires (especially big block)
10) Original exhaust (especially the muffler)
11) Original build sheet for your car
12) Original dated belts
13) And last-but-not-least…the original owner

J_Speegle

3) Even harder, an original assembly line negative battery cable (one on ebay for $2K now)

Been able to find a number of them (of course depends on the application) at yards

4) Big block battery heat shield (especially gray)

Never seen or found on a San Jose so we're lucky. There was a grp 27 "C7" one at the last Turlock swapmeet. Of course most people don;t even look at those old pieces of plastic

Took a bunch of pictures last week of a KR being assemblied locally. Tons of correctly dated parts ... down to 3 of the 4 fan belts

GTCSMustang

J Speegle,

My 428 HCS has a gray battery heat shield. Been on the car since Jan of 1970. Are you saying that they never came with one from San Jose?

Didn't all 68 Mustang V8s use the same neg cable?

Which belt was it missing?

Scott

GTCSMustang

Somethingspecial,

Your car should have a group 24 battery. Are you looking for a tray for a different car?

Scott

somethingspecial

Scott, I was told it should have had a group 27. Is this not so? Jeff, Can you shed some light. Thanks, Mike

GTCSMustang

Somethingspecial,

Your car would have come with a group 24 battery. Group 27s didn't come out until 1969.

Scott

Mosesatm

Mine has a 27 in it. It works but it's not pretty. It extends past the raised rear lip of the battery tray and there is no way to clamp it down since the center of the battery is too far rearward.