• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

CS in Barrett Jackson sold for 49,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

davidathans

Jason and Bob Teets:

You are the big boys on this website. How many cars are there between the two of you, 12?more? haha. What do you guys do for a living?? besides putting your perfect mustangs in car shows, kickin back drinkin brew, and then winning trophys. Much respect for you guys!

Diesel Donna

<~~~~~~~~~~~Has a large truck...will haul cash for free lunch. I just love an excuse for a road trip!

~~~~Donna :grin:

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

Diesel Donna said:
<~~~~~~~~~~~Has a large truck...will haul cash for free lunch. I just love an excuse for a road trip!

~~~~Donna :grin:

bring a pickup to haul your tip home. :grin: :wink:

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

davidathans said:
Jason and Bob Teets:

You are the big boys on this website. How many cars are there between the two of you, 12?more? haha. What do you guys do for a living?? besides putting your perfect mustangs in car shows, kickin back drinkin brew, and then winning trophys. Much respect for you guys!

aside from drinkin' brew (I quit 8 years ago) I try and do those things.

I own a passport and birth certificate expediting service. The internet has been a good thing for these businesses.

thanks for the kind words.

BroadwayBlue

390cs68rcode said:
could not tell from the televised coverage. It did not show who the bidders were.

one small thing to remember is this is a no reserve auction which means the owner COULD have bid on their own car to protect their investment. Even with this said there was someone else bidding to get it to that level. I am not saying I think this is what happened but it is possible.

Hey Jason,
I'm not sure I understand.
I mean I understand what a no reserve auction is but ...

Can an owner bid on his own car in a no-reserve but can't in one with a reserve?

And if he does bid on his own car in a no-reserve auction. What happens if he wins?
Or were you saying he could have bid a few times to push the price higher?
Still a risk if you were down to the last two people at such high stakes don't you think?

What am I missing?

Rich

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

BroadwayBlue said:
Hey Jason,
I'm not sure I understand.
I mean I understand what a no reserve auction is but ...

Can an owner bid on his own car in a no-reserve but can't in one with a reserve?

And if he does bid on his own car in a no-reserve auction. What happens if he wins?
Or were you saying he could have bid a few times to push the price higher?
Still a risk if you were down to the last two people at such high stakes don't you think?

What am I missing?

Rich

if the owner bids their own car to whatever level and wins they will have to pay the 8% buyers fee and the 8% sellers fee. since no money will change hands to own the car. think about it a little and it will come to you. If you had 50k in a car and it was bid to 30k you would bid it up so you don't lose 20k. bidding your own car to 50k and winning would cost you 4k buyers fee and 4k sellers fee. At this point you lose 8k. If you win your own car for 30k you would pay $4800 in fees and only lose $4800 compared to 20k (if you had 50k in it).

yes they could bid a little at the end hoping they don't become the high bidder. it's a gamble and I bet not many people do that.

P

PNewitt

This is (finally!!!) great news! I missed seeing this--I was watching the PT Cruiser, and the '66 blue fastback (foir $23K), etc...while channel surfing.

Had I known...

I think this will open eyes to the true value of this car. The Shelby values have trickled down to us, and I feel that it's an adjustment. I can't imagine what a 390 or 428 would have brought.

Auctions are fickle, but this will have a lasting effect. GT/CS values will rise from the advent of the '07 GT/CS, too. My book will also affect values--in that it will educate people about the car--and the Shelby Automotive heritage.

Good info!! Sorry that I missed seeing it!

Paul N.

Mosesatm

390cs68rcode said:
lunch and tip is on me. I will bring my 68 Cobra Jet (with AC) and we will do a little drag racin'

you win I pay in nickels, I win I pay in pennies. :grin: :wink:

good to see you are a good sport with my stuff I said above, I knew you would be.

Jason

I know the guy in charge of Marketing at Bandimere so I can set you up.:grin:

BroadwayBlue

Thanks Jason for clarifying.
It makes sense - I didn't realize they would even let you bid on your own car.
But to them (B-J) - they make their money either way.

hcsstang

High Country Bob, I don't know what you mean by saying the next SUPER BOWL CHAMPS for Denver , I think that it;s going to PITTSBURG Stealers!!!!

coloradoHCS

Yes, this year Denver is undefeated at home and even in bad years manage to win the majority of home games. They are 14-3 loosing in New York, Miami (first game of the season) and Kansas City (where they never win).
Mark.

p51

Boomer-ing Sales at BJ

Looks like da boomers are pushing up prices across the board on muscle cars. Below is an excerpt from an article in BizWeek. Thought folks would be interested...

http://businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_06/b3970120.htm

"FEBRUARY 6, 2006

Muscle Cars Roar Onto The Block

Muscle Cars Roar Onto The Block
Motorheads are making vintage gas guzzlers the new stars of the auction scene

Every year, thousands of motorheads from around the world flock to Scottsdale, Ariz., in late January for a series of classic car auctions. Prewar American favorites such as Duesenbergs or Packards and rarified European sports cars from the likes of Aston Martin and Jaguar (F ) used to be the main attractions, as they are at the Monterey (Calif.) classic car show and auctions held every August. But the biggest draw these days are more recent vintages: Chevy Chevelle Super Sports, Dodge Super Bees, and Plymouth Road Runners.

Gas-guzzling muscle cars died out with the onset of the oil shocks of the 1970s. So why are they making a comeback now, in the age of the hybrid? What's happening is a generational shift as baby boomers enter their peak earning years. For many drivers who came of age when high-performance hemi engines ruled the road, potent powertrains trump the pedigree of traditional collector cars. A growing number of these buyers are paying top dollar for restorations of the coolest cars from their youth. "These are the cars of their dreams, and they are putting a lot of money into chasing them," says Thomas duPont, publisher of The duPont Registry and Celebrity Car magazines.

Barrett-Jackson Auction, the king of collectible car auction houses in terms of sheer volume, has also been the most active in courting this rapidly expanding base of newer collectors. In January the auction house handled 1,084 vehicles (out of several thousand applications), with bids adding up to a grand total of $100 million, up from $62 million last year and $39 million in 2004. CEO Craig Jackson, 46, is something of a visionary for being among the first to recognize -- and capitalize on -- the popular fervor for muscle cars. "Our success has the car companies sitting up and paying attention," says Jackson. Indeed, last year two muscle car nameplates, the Dodge Charger and the Pontiac GTO, reappeared, and Detroit is considering new versions of the Chevrolet (M ) Camaro and the Dodge Challenger.

Jackson's father, Russ, started the auction 35 years ago with a local partner, but the younger Jackson has transformed the annual event into a weeklong muscle car mecca. This year it attracted more than 225,000 visitors to a sprawling tent city with vendors selling everything from mink bikinis to furniture made out of car parts. For those who were unable to make the trek in person, Fox (NWS ) Cable Network's SPEED Channel carried live gavel-to-gavel coverage. "It has become a lifestyle event that dwarfs all other auto auctions," says Keith Martin, editor and publisher of Sports Car Market magazine.

Some serious collectors eschew the spectacle and showmanship altogether in favor of private transactions. "The good stuff goes before it ever gets to the auctions," says late night talk show host Jay Leno, an avid car collector. "Somebody dies, [and] you wait a respectable amount of time, and [then] you call the widow and say: 'Would you like to sell Jimmy's Duesenberg?"'

The raucous bidding at Barrett-Jackson has more in common with pork-belly trading on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange than the genteel proceedings of a Christie's International auction. Quick-lipped auctioneers goad bidders in the football-field-size main tent -- the largest in North America -- with cries such as "You're Out!" and "Is that all you've got?" Celebrities often share center stage -- rocker Sammy Hagar pumped the crowd by offering to throw in free concert tickets and a case of tequila to the winning bidder for his 1967 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, which sold for $250,000. "This is a motorhead's dream," said Hagar. "It's awesome."

Not all of the Arizona auctions are as circus-like as that, but each has helped push muscle car prices into uncharted territory. While production volumes for these pony cars were generally larger than for prewar vehicles, the rarest models -- such as a 1970 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda convertible that Barrett-Jackson sold for $2.16 million -- often number in the low hundreds or dozens. The most highly sought-after muscle cars are those that have been restored to their original glory, usually with documented parts dating from the same production lot and a new paint job. On some of them you can pop the hood and see your reflection on the highly polished engine block.

PASSIONATE PLAYERS
No one will ever confuse the pedestrian sheet metal and vinyl interior of a muscle car with the handcrafted carriage and buttery leather cockpit of a multimillion-dollar Bugatti. But 10 years ago, a 1970s Ford (F ) Mustang Boss with a decent-size 302 engine might have garnered $20,000. Today that car sells for around $75,000. That's prompting more original owners to cash out. "I want to pay off the mortgage," says Hank LaPointe, 64, of Las Cruces, N.M., who sold his 1965 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350, painted Wimbledon white with a Guardsman blue stripe down the hood, for $186,000. "I had it in storage for 10 years and had no idea it'd be worth as much as it is."

Collectible cars have had their ups and downs. A speculative spike in prices for European sports car such as rare Ferrari (FIA ) models led to a crash in prices in 1991. But as long as boomers continue to flood the market, muscle car prices will continue to climb. Still, "all of the muscle cars will hit a saturation point," says Drew Alcazar, president of Russo & Steele, a classic car auction house in Phoenix.

Keep in mind that most collectors consider their cars more of a hobby than an investment. Even those who plan to flip their cars back onto the market -- after driving them around the block a few times, of course -- recognize the risk and limit their exposure accordingly. But for some grease monkeys, investing in collectible cars they know and love beats trying to play the stock market. "This is my pension plan," says Bob Anderson, 61, of Phoenix, who bought a tuxdeo black 1966 Chevelle SS for $54,000 at the auction, adding to his six-car collection..."

BroadwayBlue

Is this it?

Is this the car that was auctioned for $49,000 ?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BARRETT-JACKSON SCOTTSDALE 2006 [/FONT]

1968 FORD MUSTANG CALIFORNIA SPECIAL COUPE LOT #419 - NO RESERVE

2006 BJCCA CCA

OPTIONS
COLOR - SEA FOAM GREEN
TRANS - AUTO
CYLINDERS - V8
ENGINE SIZE - 302
HORSEPOWER - 250+

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Only 4118 of these extremely rare limited edition cars were produced during 1968. Documents from
Ford and Kevin Marti, verifying the authenticity of this vehicle, are included. These were the only Mustang coupe's to come from the factory with Carroll Shelby body parts including Shelby fiberglass rear deck lid and quarter extensions, quarter-turn hood locks, Thunderbird/Shelby tail lights, Shelby brake scoops, and Lucas fog lamps. This car came equipped from the factory with a "J" code 302 four-barrel engine, dual exhaust, power D/B, P/S, factory A/C, vinyl top, auto trans. This GT/CS was restored during the period of October 2002 through July of 2003. Restoration included new performance suspension, transmission rebuild, new custom paint, many new engine parts, exhaust, interior, headliner, carpet, vinyl top, gauges, seals, radio, A/C rebuild, brakes, etc... Photographs and receipts documenting much of the restoration are included with the car. The drive train is "numbers matching" original to the car, except for the heads which come from a later year 302 engine (engine block is correct). The rare Sea Foam Green base/clear paint is the original exterior color. Ivy Gold is the original interior color for the car. The rare color combinations, unique California Special body parts, and beautiful chrome plated Shelby ten-spoke style wheels helped this car to win a 1st place trophy at the Sept. 2003 - Annual Carey Paul Ford/Tara Mustang Club - Regional Ford Car Show.

I don't know how I did those pics above - I didn't think they would paste but they did. I attached the full size below.
[/FONT]

Attachments

• 2006BJCCA2_419_Spc1.jpg
    2006BJCCA2_419_Spc1.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 2006BJCCA2_419_Int1.jpg
    2006BJCCA2_419_Int1.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 32
  • 2006BJCCA2_419_Rear1.jpg
    2006BJCCA2_419_Rear1.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 2006BJCCA2_419_Eng1.jpg
    2006BJCCA2_419_Eng1.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 31
P

PNewitt

Hey Rich!

You're finding all the best stuff! First dealer postcards, now this!

How great! I wanted to find this car for the book, and you made it too easy! Thanks! Is there any way of getting the VIN? (I better not ask for too much) LOL...

I'd also like to know where you got this info--you can e-mail me if you'd like with the URL.

Thanks again!

BTW--everyone--look at the taillight panel. See how it's "away" from the gas cap about 1/2" more than "normal"? That's how they made a lot of the early production cars. I've seen it like that on several very early cars. It might be the "factory learning curve" on early production.

Paul N.