• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Console Question

LUVMYCS

Does anyone know if the automatic console for a car with air is different from a car without air? (Probably a stupid question, sorry). Just wondering if the base piece is a different size or shape.

By the way does anyone have a copy of the specs/drawings or part numbers of every part needed for an automatic console? Especially the shifter assembly part #.
Thanks guys and gals!

PFSlim

I do not believe it makes any difference whether or not you have air or no air with regards to console. My car does not have air but has a console. I had to build mine from scratch. I do not know part numbers without going to the build manuals (which I don't have at my house). Some of the parts you can find in the mail order mag's. Others, including the console itself, I had to buy from ebay.

I know the housing to hold the shifter is different (console vs non-console). Shifter is the same (I think). Then console parts.

Hope that helps some.

Paul

OP
OP
L

LUVMYCS

One of the things that I'm trying to find out is that on the console is the base piece that goes under the dash longer on the passenger's side than the driver's side? Could anyone with a console confirm?

6t8-390gt

The non A/C cars did have a longer console base. So many have been switched over the years most people do not notice the difference. The shifter housing and shifter are both different.
From the top of my head
1. Console base
2. Base pad with metal insert
3. Radio pad with metal radio support piece and door
4. Plastic selector indicator w/ slide and selector rod
5. Shifter
6. Selector light and wiring
7. Rear light and wiring
8. Radio and different support brackets
9. Radio knobs

I can't think of anything else, but I may have overlooked something.

Mustanglvr

This might be a stupid question but just to clarify, do you have factory AC or under the dash dealer added AC?

miller511

So, I'm looking at my center console...

If we are talking about non- AC (which my car is), the console sides go deeper towards the firewall?

...trying to understand what the difference is.

-Jeff

Mosesatm

The driver's wing on my air console is 8 1/2" long measured near the top. The passenger wing is broken.

Both wings on my replacement console (not sure if it's air or not) are just over 9" long.

OP
OP
L

LUVMYCS

The non A/C cars did have a longer console base. So many have been switched over the years most people do not notice the difference. The shifter housing and shifter are both different.
From the top of my head
1. Console base
2. Base pad with metal insert
3. Radio pad with metal radio support piece and door
4. Plastic selector indicator w/ slide and selector rod
5. Shifter
6. Selector light and wiring
7. Rear light and wiring
8. Radio and different support brackets
9. Radio knobs

I can't think of anything else, but I may have overlooked something.

Do you, by any chance, have any of the part #s? Thanks!