• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Deck lid paint mark

J_Speegle

Mosesatm said:
For example, how would they store the GT/CS decklids near the line in case a GT/CS order came along. How many would they store? Imagine having 3 in a row come down the line and have only 2 deck lids.

They didn't seem to have any problems with all the versions and different parts used for different sorts of cars. In general that is what the computers job was - to make sure all the parts were available before the build was started. This according to plant managers of the time

I know nothing about car assembly lines but batching the GT/CS and HCS builds so all the special parts could be installed by people who knew how to install them certainly makes sense to a layperson like me.[/QUOTE]

J_Speegle

somethingspecial said:
Jeff, Could this be a second rotation number? Mike

Second rotation number?? If under the paint it could have been the first rotation number (for the body and trim part of the assembly) But its a possibility

Would suggest that we sould find a similar number at the front of the car and we should have seen many more examples rather than it being a rarity IMHO If we found matching numbers under the paint then it would help support this idea

J_Speegle

Mustanglvr said:
I don`t think that`s a 10, it could be 81 for Canada. Was there a DSO 18?

Every "81" (Ford of Canada not cars sent to western Canada) I've seen was built at Dearborn building them in San Jose with its small (in comparison) production ability. And no there was no "18" in 68

J_Speegle

PNewitt said:
........ Unfortunately, a lot of the plans of what was where at the SJ plant were lost, and we're dependent on former workers to point out what was where, how they did things, in what order, etc...

Yes unfortunately the plant designer that was redrawing the plant for us choose to stop. Always wondered if the map that Ford gave to visitors (have never seen the inside of the map) really showed the layout or if it was just a generic - here's how we build a car.

There was a copy of the map in one of the cases at the mall last time I looked. But that was a while back

somethingspecial

J_Speegle said:
Second rotation number?? If under the paint it could have been the first rotation number (for the body and trim part of the assembly) But its a possibility

Would suggest that we sould find a similar number at the front of the car and we should have seen many more examples rather than it being a rarity IMHO If we found matching numbers under the paint then it would help support this idea

I say this because you said these numbers have been seen on deck lids and hoods. It would seem reasonable the hoods, having two types (Louvered, and plain), and deck lids, having two types (GT/CS and standard), could be figured into the second rotation. I don't know when the second rotation # was applied, but if it were done before paint, wouldn't it seem possible the # would be applied to the hood and deck lid so as to be ready when the car rolled down for final assy???? Mike

J_Speegle

Sorry for my inability to communicate my thoughts, likely my writing skills have gotten in the way.

somethingspecial said:
I say this because you said these numbers have been seen on deck lids and hoods. It would seem reasonable the hoods, having two types (Louvered, and plain), and deck lids, having two types (GT/CS and standard),

Let us remove the hoods from this discussion my earlier comments were made before I had confirmed that the ones found on the trunk lide were below the original exterior color. Though marked with similar markings (examples are from 65-68 so far) the hood marks were over paint were the examples were are discussing are under the paint as reported and the picture I posted shows rust developing once the paint lifted from the similar mark.

somethingspecial said:
.....could be figured into the second rotation. I don't know when the second rotation # was applied, but if it were done before paint, wouldn't it seem possible the # would be applied to the hood and deck lid so as to be ready when the car rolled down for final assy????

The second rotation number was assigned after the exterior color, engine compartment paint and all black-outs were applied so it could not be that. Plus if it was a rotation number we would have alot more examples than the few we do have IMHO. Instead this appears to be a identifier not placed on all cars and not only Mustangs at San Jose (the picture I posted was from a Cougar)

Since both were applied on the passenger side of the lid and similar angles (depending on which way you view them) they likely are connected. They made have identified a particular car for some reason or simply identified a group, crate or pallet of trunk lids from their producer as they passed through Pittsburg, CA

Talan423

a couple of theories .... 1. i have worked in 3 different ford assembly plants over the past 11 years. the BASICS of the assembly process have not changed much in the past 40 years. i have had millions of parts pass through my hands from hundreds of different suppliers. the grease pencil is a very common tool used by many different suppliers to mark parts. could this be a unit count marked by a worker when he went on a break or shift change? when he would come back from his break or shift change he knew how many units were in his rack or container. if the grease was not removed before primer, the primer would not adhere to the decklid and leaving this grease mark. in the case of a metal decklid it would leave a rust mark because the primer did not adhere allowing moisture to get to the metal. i see these same grease marks with unit counts on them every day even today.
2. after final assembly and the vehicle is headed for the door, there is an operator who will mark the destination (also with grease pencil) for the guys out in the storage yard who will put the vehicles in their respective areas. some vehicles go by train some by convoy (truck), this mark could be the indicator as to where (which yard) it will be delivered. the problem with this theory is... why would it be under the decklid? when they drive the car out the door the decklid is down and the driver would not be able to see it. today they put the marks on the glass so everyone can see it, plus it will just wash off.
you would have to be VERY lucky to find the right assembly worker to explain any of the GT/CS questions. you would have to find a "utility" line worker or a "repairman" ,these are the guys that would know the many different aspects of this car. the average line worker back then only knew one job and he stayed on that job for many years. so if there are say 20 different unique parts to the GT/CS there are only 20 guys X 2 shifts = 40 assembly line workers (plus inspectors) who actually worked on the GT/CS. with only 6 months of production out of a 30+ year career of building 400 cars per day, these guys aren't going to remember a whole lot of detail about these cars. it is very boring and tedious work, sometimes mind numbing!
i like theory number 1 myself.

tom

J_Speegle

Talan423
Your idea #1 seems to best fit what we've been thinking and what other workers have explained.

we had a number of workers use the use of a visible "X" with no related tightening or filling need (white in color), that they used when the line stopped and every took a break ... except these couple of guys. One was a shock installer and he would continue to go down the line for 3-6 cars and install the shocks (in this case front shocks) he would then mark the last car and then take a break. When the line started up again he could continue to wait until the car with the "X" showed up at the station, while others returned to work as soon as the line started up again.