• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Friday Jan. 27 2006 LACR

davidathans

I went out to LACR to race the mustang one last time before i resume my college semester. Here are some pictures. In the engine compartment pictures you will notice a huge steel braded line and an oil catch can. This is my newest modification done because i used to get oil all over the passenger side valve cover. My 347 motor has just under 10000 miles on it and i wanted to switch over to synthetic, but at $10 a quart (8 quarts) i cant afford to be spilling oil all over the place, so this setup did the trick and im really happy with it.

Anyways, i made 6 pulls in the mustang. My first pull was my best. With 12psi cold in the slicks, running 91 octane, through the mufflers, at about a 2500rpm launch, i ran a new best at this track. I ran a 12.843 at 105.089mph with a 60' of 1.777.

My car is tuned in the San Fernando Valley, so when i go up to 2700ft elevation im runnin pretty rich. On the second pull i ran a 1.791 60' but upon shifting into high gear at about 5700rpm i dumped fuel and it bogged out on me so i had to back off and ran a 13.132 at 88mph.

So i let the car sit for an hour and in that time i climbed under the car and removed the mufflers for less back pressure in an attempt to lean out a little so i wouldnt bog on the top end again. It worked! My next pull was with open headers, 12psi hot in the slicks, about a 2800rpm launch. I ran a 1.865 60' and an e.t. of 12.994 at 104.142mph.

The rest of my runs were low 13s...
13.146 at 103.019mph 60' of 1.909
13.268 at 102.101mph 60' of 1.937
13.285 at 101.394mph 60' of 1.909

The launches were hesitating ever so slightly, which destroys the chance of running 12s. The track conditions are never really that great. It was 48 degrees around 9:30pm. The last 3 runs, the pressure was really low in the slicks and i was meandering back and forth pretty well around the 1000ft mark. I didnt bring an air compressor to pump them back up.

Just thought i'd share what was a really fun day for me.

P

PNewitt

David,

This is totally cool! Running under 13's in a GT/CS with what you have is awesome! Do you have traction bars? It looks like you're losing something in the rear end--enough to keep you from running 12's. It might be tires, but you said something about the track being bad.

Anyway--I appreciate you representing the GT/CS at the track! WOW!

Paul N.

case12

David,

This is really cool. Your GTCS is awesome. Mine sits in the garage - but you put yours on the line...literally. Very nice. Casey

Gatorbait

I used to have a street/strip 5.0. I took some flanges and welded studs in the holes, then cut holes in the exhaust pre-muffler and welded in the flanges, and made some caps for the flanges. I could uncork the exhaust at the track in 5 mins...3 nuts each side and the caps were off. That is cheap horsepower.

OP
OP
davidathans

davidathans

Thank you guys!! Ya i have CalTracs Traction bars and im runnin Hoosier 26x9-15 Slicks... I looked at my last few races and i pretty much know what was slowin me down. The tire pressure was way too low and it made it hard to steer on the top end and it created more rolling resistance to slow me down. Next time i go to the track i'll try runnin the slicks around 15psi to start and work my way down to 10psi.