• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Modification Discussion.

hookedtrout

In the process of restoring my GT/CS the temptation of a modification has won me over. I have resisted changing anything in the 20 years that I have owned the car until now. My modification is to change the lower rear valance to the GT valance and dualing out the exhaust to the GT specs. I will keep the original valance in storage so everything could be changed back it isn't my intent to try and fool anyone into thinking it came with the GT package I just like the appearance way better. I am of the opinion that all GT/CS's should have the GT exhaust. The rest of the car is all GT look and then out comes a single exhaust.

How do other feel about this. I just think the dual exhaust out the back adds a ton to the look of the car.

Cory

rjw

Cory,
I couldn't agree more. My GT/CS came with the GT valance and quad tip exhaust when I purchased it. The Marti report showed this was added later; but the appearance, like you said, is in my opinion, "way better."
Richard

x-codegtcs

Cory,

I am kind of a purist, BUT like you the notched valence and quad tip is a cool look that goes on all of my Mustangs except the one that I will be restoring to Concours.

Bryce

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

I'm starting to feel a little better about this whole thing. I felt like I was committing a sin when I was bolting it on last night. Even though nothing was really modified that couldn't be changed back by unbolting.

The car has seen one show in it's lifetime and where I live there really isn't many shows to speak of other than local car get togethers. At this point the restoration is designed more at giving me a toy to go play with. I went through a divorce years ago and I had to make a decision as to my pickup or my mustang. It wasn't much of a decision really the mustang was going with me. However it then became my daily driver and it took some wear and tear. I eventually got my feet under me and remarried and finally got a garage and shop so it went into storage. There it has sat for over 10 years. I get it out and run it yearly and such but it isn't licensed to drive. Now I just want to get it back into shape with an engine rebuild, new exhaust, fresh paint and upholstery and drive it. Someday it will get a ground up resto but not quite yet. I want to enjoy it for a few years by simply driving and showing it off.

I absolutely love and miss all the ooooohs and aaaaahs and questions.

Cory

68sunlitgold

Cory,
Like many have said, it is your car and make it something you like to drive. That is why the one CS you see in the other forum was made into a 4x4, someone whated it that way. As for modifications, small things like the rear valance are a great look and the only time mods become a factor is in the resale. I mean huge mods like cutting holes in something or throwing away the inline 6 and putting a '92 5.0 in it. When you mod the car to your likes, it becomes something that you like and generally the public like close to origianl cars. And since you made the right decision about the truck or the mustang, I think you are past the decision of selling the car, so make it something YOU want to drive and have people say ooohhhh and aaaaahhhh. Beleive me they will be impressed to see a CS no matter if it is original or modified.
Doug

rjw

Doug has said it well! I couldn't agree more!
Richard

007bluto

As long as your putting on options that were available for the GT/CS, it shouldnt matter. If you have the money to and talent to to do a professional job, your car will look awsome.

I've always believed in:

a. only making mods that can be "undone" in a day or week at most.
b. doing what makes you happy.

Life is too short to worry about keeping any car so "stock" that you can't enjoy it....although there is a lot to be said for the "excitement" of having something to show off that has a lot of historical value to it ( I like seeing those '55 Ford Station wagons at car shows with every detail exact as it was then--right down to the picnic basket and dealer brochure, too).

There aren't a lot of these cars left out there, and the "stock" look of individual CS cars does hold some interest and value--as opposed to a modified coupe with silmular parts. And we know that there are LOTS of those out there!

This was a promotional effort by Ford, like the Sprint package, it was the California version of that, using Shelby parts for the (Southern) California car culture.

I can relate to seeing a stock CS with those "dog dish" hubcaps, stock narrow whitewalls, and a single exhaust, perhaps in a color Shelby didn't use for that year. It's sometimes a conflict (from a car design aspect) of what the GT/CS (HCS) is supposed to look like: "a Shelby Coupe", or "a dressed up Mustang Coupe"? I'm not knocking the "stock" look, but to just say how in Ford's attempt to use the Shelby parts, that sometimes the performance look can work against the "stock" aspects of the Mustang, as it was sold then.

When you see that rear end, spoiler and taillights, etc, you'd expect some sort of "bad" looking big exhaust pipes coming out of there. After all, it was advertised to be "Inspired by the Shelby GT".

I support the idea of keeping the original rear valence, and going with the GT valance. Keeping any and all original parts replaced IS a great and well-thought out idea--especially for resale.

You have to decide if you're modifying your CS for an eventual resale-OR-for your own enjoyment--now? It's up to you. I'll support a total concours restoration for competition, and I'll support some simple mods to make it fun, too! It's all in what you want out of the car, and how it satisfies your interest.

I personally like using the "CS-Shelby" (logo) parts of that specific time period (March-Sept., 1968); like valve covers, intakes, etc. as outlined in my book. That way, it adds to the interest, and makes it more of a "it was available then" interest at car shows. It's like seeing those "Frontenac", aluminum intakes mounted on the top of Model A four-bangers. Kinda exotic.

I wouldn't worry too much about keeping things TOO stock to enjoy it; although I can also appreciate preserving the historical details of these increasingly rare limited-edition Mustangs.

It's up to you.

Paul.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Thanks for everyone's input. Based on my own feelings and the input of you, GT/CS owners yourself this is my direction.

Short of a family crisis this Special will remain in my posession until this world and I part. Which is exactly what the previous owner told me one day about 3 years before I bought it from him. So never isn't always for ever (if that makes any sense).

It is my committment that I will keep each and every part that I should ever take off and change. And I will never change anything that can't be put back to original. I've often thought about the Cobra valve covers and air cleaner cover as they really dress up the engine. And there may be other little odds and ends that I prefer along the way to restoration. I will also keep photos to record the original condition and items.

Someday however it may be my desire to have the car as original as I possibly can and this is why I will keep all the original parts. And should or when the occassion arrises that we should have to part ways I would hope that my preservation of the original parts would pass on the importance of maintaining originality on cars of limited production to the next SPECIAL owner. Who knows someday in the far away future this GT/CS could be the only one left and I would hope it doesn't resemble something from Road Warrior.

A Special Group we are.

Cory

our special

I have to agree with the replies on this subject. I have made some changes to our spceial and I'm in the process of making some more. There hasn't been any changes made, nor will there be any changes made that can't be reversed without to much effort. So far, I have I have added dual exhaust, without the GT valance (yet), two tone hood, styled steel wheels, lower console, clock, and steel divider in the trunk. I just added a set of chrome headlight doors, like the '68 Shelby and I am in the process of installing the GT/CS emblems that I purchased from Paul. Because we drive our special a fair bit during the summer, I might have a look at installing a set of high back bucket seats, '69-'70, if I can get the matching material (neck problems). If the $ become available, there may be a new set of wheels in our future too. Dave