• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Engine compartment sheet metal

Firstmustang

I started a minor rust remediation project under my battery tray and inside my passenger side wheel well. I discovered that rust had eaten through the sheet metal under the battery tray (see pic). I cut away the rusted metal and I'm planning on welding in a panel, however, I'm curious if anyone in the GT/CS world can point me to 1) the correct gauge of sheet metal to match the existing engine compartment sheet metal and 2) where would I buy this sheet metal (or can I just get garden variety correct gauge sheet metal from a metal supply store).

Also I can't seem to upload more than 1 photo on to my post...

Thanks,
Firstmustang

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 43

Ruppstang

I would buy a replacement apron and only use what you need of it to make a good repair.
Marty

CougarCJ

My company gets asked for used battery aprons all of the time. They all have some degradation from the battery over time. We very seldom find them for any year. Mustang and Cougar are the same, year for year on those parts.

Tequila

I second what Marty said in using only what you need to make the needed repair.

The shop that I had took mine for rust repairs replaced the entire panel and didn't bother to tell me that original one had the hidden VIN stamping on it. It just need only the bottom section replaced. Luckily they didn't throw out the old panel.

robert campbell

as bad as you think that is, it is not very bad. My car went into the radiator support and I ended up replacing it from side to side!

68 special

My apron also needed replaced and part of the core support. I decided to cut out only the bad part on the core support and fabed a new section and welded in place. But, the battery apron, I replaced the whole thing. took awhile making sure everything was square, but it worked. Also had to replace the top section of the other 3 aprons where they overlap by the shock towers. Slow and steady trying not to burn up too much material..

Take your time, it will work out just fine.

Bret