• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Love's lost rather than "those that got away"?

GT/CS S Code

That was a very interesting article about "lost cars" and their previous owners looking to get re-united with the cars that they loved, but had sold many years ago.
What about those unrecoverable "lost love's" .... the cars that we've owned and sadly lost to car crashes, catastrophic mechanical failures (such as engine or driveline blow ups), floods, tornados, etc.?
I'll start this thread with a couple of photos of my very first Mustang, a nice little 1966 coupe with 289 2V, automatic, deluxe pony interior, and console. I was driving away from a friend's house early one morning, and as I rounded a shady corner I hit a large patch of black ice causing me to lose contol of the car. We did a couple of dizzying 360's, smashed through about 4 posts on a barbed wire fence, jumped a ditch, smashed nose first into the base of a huge tree on the far bank, and then finished up by dropping down into the creek bed with four feet of running water. I bounced off the windshield, broke my nose, and won a free ambulance ride to the hospital, soaking wet, and covered in mud and blood. Fortunately, the two friends that were riding with me fared much better and had minor injuries. We had to crawl out of the car, wade across the creek in chest high water, and then crawl up the muddy bank to reach the field above. When I knocked on the farmhouse door to ask for some help, the poor woman that answered the door nearly fainted as I was a bit of a sight at that point!
Needless to say, in the end the car was a complete write-off and that was the end of my very first Mustang. The 289 engine from my wreck was eventually rebuilt and recycled into another local area Mustang drag race car that was called the "Iron Horse". A few of the other useable parts were salvaged for other cars, but in the end the stripped out wreck was crushed.
Anyone else out there have any stories (or photos?) of any of their previously owned favorite cars that went the way of the Dodo through some evil misfortune?
:cry:

Attachments

• Al's 1966 Ford Mustang GT.JPG
    Al's 1966 Ford Mustang GT.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Al's 1966 Ford Mustang GT interior.JPG
    Al's 1966 Ford Mustang GT interior.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

Love's lost ...?

What's the matter? Isn't anyone else willing to discuss the previous cars that they've either smashed or blown up? ;-) ... or even just sold and regretted that decision later?

My next car after the crashed Mustang was a 66 Falcon Sports Coupe, 289 4V with a four speed, in red with a black interior.

Another favorite car that I let go and really DID regret selling later was a 1966 Cyclone GT, 390 4V with a four speed, in red with a black interior.

Hmmm, seems like some sort of a "trend" here ..... our GT/CS is a 390 4V with a four speed, in red with a black interior!

:wink:

Attachments

• Al's 1966 Ford Falcon GT.JPG
    Al's 1966 Ford Falcon GT.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 22
  • Al's 1966 Mercury Cyclone GT.JPG
    Al's 1966 Mercury Cyclone GT.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 17

Perkchiro

OK here goes. This is an ancient picture of my first CS, circa 1973. It was Candy Apple Red (my favorite:smile: ), black standard interior, C code with a 4 speed manual. I jacked up the rear with Hi-Jacker air shocks and extension brackets. I had American torque thrust wheels with Parnelli Jones tires. I modded the engine with an edelbrock intake and a Holley 600 cfm carb and headers. I could bounce the rear end in first and chirp the tires all the way into 3rd gear. Not bad for a little 289. I dated my wife in that car and regretfully, I sold it my second year in college. I thought it looked too "high school" for a college man. Boy! how stupid I was!!! I have no idea what happened to the car after I sold it. I lived in California at the time and I moved to Portland, Oregon for professional school and then back here to the Midwest after that. I've often wondered if it's still around.

Attachments

• 68 CS Circa 1973.jpg
    68 CS Circa 1973.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 34

rvrtrash

I've regretted selling plenty of cars, but haven't lost one through a total, except in a round-about way. So here goes. I had a '70 Cougar XR7, 351C, auto, air, power everything. During my divorce, I tried to be the nice guy (no good deed goes unpunished) and let my ex drive it so she would have a way to get the kids around. On the day the divorce was final, and the judge told her to give the car back to me, her boyfriend and cousin took it out and totaled it, deliberately. Before I could collect the carcass, she sold it to a scrap yard and had it crushed. That was about 25 years ago and to this day the nicest name I can call her is "The Plaintiff". :lipsseal:

Steve

franklinair

Holy smokers, Steve. That story gives new meaning to the word 'vindictive'! To this day, my favorite car was a '55 Ford Fairlane coupe. (It still pops up in dreams) I bought it in 1960 for $275. My grandfather loaned me the money @ 3% interest for 1 year. A 272 V8 (a real slug now that I think about it), automatic, blue & white. My brother Jay & I repainted it Mandarin Red, 16 coats of hand rubbed lacquer, new interior. Put on 1955 Merc tail lights (it was cool at the time!) I had that car when I was married in 1962. Sold it in 1967. The lacquer would polish beautifully even after 7 years. A few years ago I visited the Smithonian in DC. What's parked in the entrance to the American History display?? A 1955 Ford Fairlane. I thought, My God - the model car I drove when I was married is now in a MUSEUM. Talk about feeling ancient! One day when I'm feeling really remorseful and had a couple Manhatans, I'll tell you about a '68 Mustang coupe that suffered massive desecration at my hand.
Neil

Midnight Special

...No major mishaps for me. 'Just two li'l "benders". One night in 1979, I parked my first 390 CS in the usual spot in the driveway, in gear/ no brake as always... I wasn't in the house very long before my mother & I heard a thundering CRASH - turned & looked down the hall & could see the china cabinet shaking & shuddering... I ran upstairs thinking something fell over (or a tree hit the house or...) After inspection of all rooms, I came back downstairs and noticed the CS wasn't where I left it. I bolted out the door, revealing my complete profanity collection before my mom, and found the car w/ the rt. fender & hood firmly imbedded into the dining room wall! We had a large manx cat who always got into the car when the window was open... I suspect he went to massage himself w/ the Hurst T-handle... No pictures of the car, but can show you the patched wall when the sun comes up ;-)

My second happened in 1984 in the yellow '69 Mach on my way to work. 'Turned a corner onto downtown Main St. and a blinding morning sun, slamming into a parked van at the corner. After leaving a note on the van, I proceeded back home w/ a ruined fender, headlight bucket and bent tie-rod that along with mis-aligned tires, echoed loudly through the store fronts... 'Still have that car :) 'Got it repaired and went on to raise 3 kids with it as my primary driver.

Attachments

• yelw.jpg
    yelw.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 23