• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

VIN Plate Repair

Perkchiro

I know this seems like an odd question, but since my car lived in a barn during it's earlier days, it deteriorated in many areas including the VIN plate. The plate is badly corroded with a rather large hole in it. I would like to have this reconditioned but I know of no one who does this. I've google searched with no success. I also contacted Kevin Marti by email a while back and he had no sources. Anyone know of a place for VIN plate restoration? Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Steve

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=1883;start=0#msg12388 date=1121115710]
NPD sells vin plates
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I've seen VIN plate decal overlay stickers but no VIN plate blanks (if there is such a thing). I'll check with them to see if there is something that's not listed in their catalog.

Steve

dbeal

you are correct NPD sells the sticker that renews the exterior printing on the vin plate. Thats what I used for mine.

bbeatty

[quote author=Perkchiro link=board=1;threadid=1883;start=0#msg12383 date=1121112802]
I also contacted Kevin Marti by email a while back and he had no sources.

Steve
[/quote]

Huh? I thought that’s exactly what Marti Auto works did! ???

http://www.martiauto.com/

Well that and the Marti reports of course. Did they say they no longer make data plates or is this something they never did?

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1883;start=0#msg12413 date=1121180101]
Steve, are you looking for the VIN plate from the dash?
[/quote]

Yep, that's what I want to repair or replace. The VIN plate is in bad shape. It looks like it's made of aluminum. Mine has corroded so badly that the edges have fallen off and there's a large hole in it. I want to restore it before it completely falls apart. An overlay sticker won't work.

Steve

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

[quote author=bbeatty link=board=1;threadid=1883;start=0#msg12412 date=1121178321]
[quote author=Perkchiro link=board=1;threadid=1883;start=0#msg12383 date=1121112802]
I also contacted Kevin Marti by email a while back and he had no sources.

Steve
[/quote]

Huh? I thought that’s exactly what Marti Auto works did! ???

http://www.martiauto.com/

Well that and the Marti reports of course. Did they say they no longer make data plates or is this something they never did?

[/quote]

When I inquired about it, they make DATA plates for the door, but not VIN plates. In fact, I did order a new data plate from them with my Marti report. It looks great, but I'm still in a quandry about what to do with the VIN plate.

bbeatty

OK that makes sense now. Sorry, I don't know what you can do about the plate under the windshield. :(

Mosesatm

Steve, can you make a new blank plate out of sheet metal, stamp it with a set of punches, and then use the NPD overlay?

What is the NPD overlay? Is it just the black graphics that goes around the edges of the plate?

dbeal

that is exactly what it is..just an overlay the restores the black printing on the vin plate.

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1883;start=0#msg12417 date=1121185392]
Steve, can you make a new blank plate out of sheet metal, stamp it with a set of punches, and then use the NPD overlay?

What is the NPD overlay? Is it just the black graphics that goes around the edges of the plate?
[/quote]

Sounds like the best idea. So, where would you get the stamps in the original height and type style?

Mosesatm

Auto parts stores used to sell punches but if you are looking for the exact font and depth it might be a long search.

Doesn't Branda offer some sort of VIN reproduction services, or supplies, or something?

dbeal

When I checked with Branda they only provide data plates. There is an issue with legality on recreating vin plates. There are those unscrupulous individuals who would do this for illegal gains. Which is why the VIN number is placed in several locations on the vehicle. Enough said about that. If you are bound and determined to recreate the original VIN then check with machinest supply stores for stamps. They would be the most likely sources to find the closest match.

nfrntau

This is a long shot and would probably be a little pricey.
All else failing you might get a similar plate to use as a guide and go to a fine jeweler and have the replacement plate engraved. If they can do inside a ring you may be able to find someone who will and can do a plate.
I know it's a long shot but....

I am also one of those guys who does not condone making a number/rare car but in my opinion replacing your own is perfectly O.K. and you have the right to be as picky as you want to be.

OP
OP
Perkchiro

Perkchiro

[quote author=nfrntau link=board=1;threadid=1883;start=15#msg12427 date=1121202968]
This is a long shot and would probably be a little pricey.
All else failing you might get a similar plate to use as a guide and go to a fine jeweler and have the replacement plate engraved. If they can do inside a ring you may be able to find someone who will and can do a plate.
I know it's a long shot but....

I am also one of those guys who does not condone making a number/rare car but in my opinion replacing your own is perfectly O.K. and you have the right to be as picky as you want to be.
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions. I know that replacing a VIN plate is a touchy legal thing, but if you saw my VIN plate you would probably be thinking along the same path as I am. I'm spending a butt load of money making this car as perfect as I can. When it comes to the details, I may be picky, but that's what I want. To display a corroded, VIN plate in the windshield, with everything else reconditioned or new, that really goes against the grain with me. My thought was to repair the plate somehow, but that seems to be impropable, so fabrication a new plate seems to be more likely. Don't know if that's legal, even if I keep the old plate in the car. I'll have to do some research on this, but I really appreciate all the responses and ideas. You all are really a great group of GT/CS lovers and I'm happy to be part of the group.
Steve