• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Coil Spring Tools

whodat

Its a 1" drop spring. The rented compression tool didn't fit properly the one that went inside didn't compress enough. I used the jack too and it didnt work.

robert campbell

Dude,
Go up a few post to Tequila's post with pictures. I have the version second one from the right with the "hooked" jaws to grab the coils. One is shorter and one is longer to equalize the puller into the center of the spring. You need to connect the jaws to the spring and then rotate them down to the point that they pinch the bottom spring coil and the top coil. Basically spin them up the coils until the reach the very top and bottom coil as they hit the top and bottom end of the coil.

This gives you maximum compression and I have yet to find a coil spring that compressed this way will not "fall out". The trick is to achieve the same compression when you go back in. If you go for to much compression length the coil may bind on the jaw and prevent it from spinning down to remove.

Rob

whodat

I did everything I could. The main problem is the spring is thicker therefore the compressor doesn't fit properly. So Im going to wait until the engine is back in. Thats not too far away.