• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Nice Red GT/CS on eBay

Doug

I have been looking at this and other Califrnia Specials, and since someone stated it may not be worth 30K. What do you think is a fair price for a nice GT/CS.

Like most people I really don't want to over pay, but I don't mind paying a fair price. Yes, I also have heard that it's worth what the buyer will pay.

BTW - this is a great site, it kind of reminds me of a few other car forums that were the same way before those cars became worth mega dollars. GT/CS site vistors really seem to love their cars, and not because of the value.

Thanks

Mosesatm

Please ignore all this. See the next post.

I don't think it's overpriced. It's a J-code, with air, and only 59,000 miles. If no work needs to be done to it it's probably worth $30K to the right person. That said, I don't think this car will sell for that amount on eBay.

J-codes don't show up very often so it's difficult to judge their value but if I were looking for a red GT/CS optioned like this one (if it's in as good of condition as the seller states) I'd be more than willing to spend $25,000 for it. If I were the seller I woudn't sell it for less than $30,000.

There is another red GT/CS in Oregon for sale for $23,000, I think....unless it's the same car. I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited:

Mosesatm

It is the same car.

I was looking to buy this car for $23,000 about a year ago. I didn't like the fact that its original color was gold and someone painted it red. That killed the deal for me. Although I'm not normally originality-obsessed I think changing the color of a car reduces its value. (Please be gentle, Steve!!!!)

So now I want to change my answer. I think it's overpriced at $30,000, especially since he bought it for $23,000 or less.

If you are interested in it be sure to go there, inspect it, and drive it.

I can send you pictures and other information if you want.

Here is a thread that (as is usual with us:icon_ecst ) got way out of hand and way off topic but it talks about the car for a little while!!!

http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2751&highlight=j-code

Last edited:

68gt390

Truce Auto, sounds like a dealer has this car for sale. Even at their current price and what they may have paid for it at $30,000 I don't see a real problem being that the car is a "J" code and has some nice options. I'll put it this way, I know what I'd ask for my CS and the color has never been changed.

Don

Doug

Thanks for answering my question. I talked to Truce Auto and asked about the car and he (I thought) said it was original. He also said it was another persons (a friends) car and he was just helping out. I asked him about a Marti report and he acted like he had never heard of one, may be correct who knows but I'll take his word - I am somewhat trusting. Once again I appreciate all your help and I will keep looking.

As I said before what a great site.

Doug

This car did not meet reserve - it got to $28.900. I tried to talk to this guy 3 or 4 times to determine if he ever got a Marti report, no answer. I guess that I’ll have to keep looking for a red CS somewhere else.

rvrtrash

The guy may have had a friend bidding it up. I can't imagine anyone wanting $30K for a car and turning down $28.9K.

Steve

OP
OP
BroadwayBlue

BroadwayBlue

The guy may have had a friend bidding it up. I can't imagine anyone wanting $30K for a car and turning down $28.9K.

Steve

Steve,

That seemed a little odd to me too. The BIN was $29,995.
My guess is the reserve was $29,000 .... but just a gut feeling.

Then again, someone may have hit their max at 28,900, but 2 people actually bid 28,900.

Like Jason said, this was the highest I've seen a CS small block go up to in quite some time.

P.S. Thought about you today - was a show in Rhinebeck, NY today ... around 1000 cars easy - a lot of LTD XLs from different years. I'll post pics soon, hopefully I got some shots of them. I lost track and my nephew was taking some pics as well.

rvrtrash

I don't feel really comfortable with auctions that hide the bidders info or make you preregister anyway. They always make my scam-alert sensors go off.

I still have moments of "sellers remorse" from time to time on the XL. I have to go sit in front of my Mach 1 project, which now lives in the shop instead of the yard, to remind myself it was the right thing to do.

Steve