• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Electrical puzzle...help requested

mbsf1970

Doug is experiencing some electrical issues. He's in the shop but I thought i might throw it out here in caase there were some ideas I could suggest to mechanic

Here are your clues:

Once the car is started:

1) The radio has no power
2) The turn indicators don't work although the emergency flashers do work. There is an audible buzzing noise when turn signal is engaged (left or right turn)
3) The shifter light does not work
4) When car is put into reverse (and only reverse--all other slots work fine) it acts like a kill switch and car dies immediately
5) If turn indicator is engaged in either up or down position and car is put into reverse it does NOT kill the car.
6) On my way to the garage this morning I noticed that the radio power was restored intermittently (for a few seconds) on several occasions

I have a short video but cannot upload at the moment.

and.........go!! thoughts?

Stephen

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

All solved---I think.

Turns out that there was remnants of an old fuse lodged behind a fuse in the fuse box. Once removed, end pins were lightly sanded and bent inwards for better grip on fuse and bam, all good.

To celebrate, I took Doug for a 60 mile round trip ice cream run! We both deserved it!

Stephen

1968Cally

Glad you found it so easily. Those were totally weird symptoms.