• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Brake line mount question

miller511

Hi all,

I ran into a strange thing while in the process of installing the new brake line assembly (from the frame rail to the caliper) on the driver side...Stopped at the moment because of this issue!!

The old part has the angle bracket mounting holes at 1.25" center to center. This also matches the only set of threaded holes on the frame rail. The far right hole is a clearance hole that is unused (there's a matching one on the passenger side also).

The new brake line angle bracket mounting holes are at 1.50" center to center.

I thought that maybe I ordered the wrong brake line parts. However, I looked at the passenger side and it measures 1.50" on the old part and on the new part.

Long story long...Is the 1.25" center to center on the driver side correct? It seems wrong to me. The parts on each side are basically mirror images of each other. But did Ford also make the hole centers different for each side for maybe no-brainer assembly? If so, I've got the wrong new part for the driver's side.

Check out the pictures for reference.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

-Jeff

Attachments

• Brake Line 001small.JPG
    Brake Line 001small.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 24
  • Brake Line 003small.JPG
    Brake Line 003small.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Brake Line 004small.JPG
    Brake Line 004small.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Brake Line 005small.JPG
    Brake Line 005small.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 24

nfrntau

My stock bracket looks different. It has one hole in the middle and then a tab that sticks into the one hole. The other hole is unused. My car was built as a drum/drum car.
This was the best photo I could get without removing the bracket.

Attachments

• DSCF1370.JPG
    DSCF1370.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Thanks nfrntau,

Forgot to mention that my CS has and came with power disc brakes.

Worst case for me is to make one of the holes into a slot (since there's not enough room for a separate hole) on the new angle bracket to accommodate the 1.25" center to center tapped holes on the frame rail.

Best case is that I'll spend more time hunting down the correct part.

-Jeff

rvrtrash

I went out and measured my disc brake car for you and both sides are the same, 1.5" center to center.

Steve

OP
OP
miller511

miller511

Thanks Steve for going out and measuring that.

Hmmmm, 1.5" center to center on both sides.

That's interesting...and not what I wanted to hear. What the heck? How did it get to be 1.25" on the driver side on my car? I guess I can only imagine.

Anyway, I went ahead and made a slot out of the new brake line angle bracket part and bolted it into place...done deal. On to the next...