• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

wood steering wheel

This doesn't necessarily have to do with the HCS or California Specials, but I own a 1967 mustang and we installed a walnut steering wheel in it a little over a year ago. I have recently noticed that my hands are bleaching out the wood! Does anybody have any tips for caring for my wood steering wheel?! ??? Thanks a lot!

StraightSix

Are you sure that you're actually bleaching out the wood and not just rubbing off the stain or laquer coating? Usually continuous contact with hands darkens wood due to the oils on your skin. Do you handle chemicals or something ??? Anyway, I have never really thought of this before but I would bet that you should clean your wheel with the same sort of stuff you use on hardwood floors -- oil soap. However, I don't really know what the pros use. There are plenty of cars with wood paneling on the interior -- old Triumphs come to mind. You might check out www.triumphspitfire.com if you don't get a better answer here.

-Winston