• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Cruise Control

Mosesatm

The car that is now being restored by one of the world's best and will eventually end up in my garage is going to be a long distance driver so I've been kicking around the idea of cruise control.

Has anyone installed or used any of the systems out there? The first one that popped up when I googled, Vintage Mustang Cruise Control was one from Dakota Electric. http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1965-1973-Mustang-Cruise-Control-Kit-w-Electric-Speedometer.html
It seems like a good system but I really have no clue.

Rostra also has a universal kit.
http://www.rostra.com/universal-aftermarket-cruise-control-by-rostra.php

Any advice?

If you don't want to discuss cruise control I'm also looking at roller spring perches, and installing resonators or glass packs in front of the turbo mufflers to quiet the car down a bit, so any comments on those items (good or bad) will also be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

Ruppstang

I do not know anything about the after market cruise control systems other that I would defiantly have one if I did not have a concours car. Roller spring perches are the way to go ,never will squeak. I like the sound of the original exhaust with resonators with a transverse muffler. If I was going the modified rout I would add the Borgenson steering sector or that new electric one.
Marty

robert campbell

+1 on the stock exhaust with Marty for quiet. Another option was the large mufflers that came behind Dodge Hemi cars. The 1968 Coupe I just sent away today had two stock "looking" mufflers with nothing behind them. It was very quiet for a dual exhaust car. H-pipe reduces noise.

The transverse muffler is a tight fit by the gas tank. Big pipe (2.5) and quiet mufflers can equal a quiet sound on the road with a nice sound at idle.

Cruise control?? What the heck is that!!! Like a heater in Houston??

Rob

rvrtrash

Back in the early 80's, a buddy gave me an aftermarket cruise control kit that didn't work. It used magnets on the driveline (looks like the Rostra kit is the same idea) and a sensor that mounted above the magnets. I fixed the electronics and installed it in the '72 Mach 1 I had. Because my car had been lowered quite a bit, and my driving style caused a bit of up and down movement in the driveline, I kept knocking the magnets off the driveline. It got to be quite a nuisance. I solved it by installing a speedo cable out of a '73 Mustang, with the pickup that mounts about 6" behind the speedo head and used the pickup for the input to the cruise control. Worked flawlessly after that. I mounted the control module in the ash tray, because I didn't smoke, and it kept it out of sight. If you do decide to go with the Rostra type kit, get the speedo pickup that's available as an accessory, or, I have a spare '73 speedo pickup (untested but is probably ok) if you want it.

Steve