• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 headlight issues...

dalorzo_f

"Common" problem, and have:

- replaced switch - new
- checked battery voltage - fine
- checked fuses - fine
- done basic wiring inspection

All seems OK.

Before I start pulling wiring, what else would cause the headlights to go out after 30-ish seconds. In some cases they flicker for a few seconds first, then die. Sometimes, just blip off....

Suspect something is getting hot and cutting out, but can't figure out what.

???

CougarCJ

Two things come to mind or a combination of the two.

Weak headlight internal relay of the switch, or you are using halogen headlamps.

DeadStang

If the headlights are stock, check your high/low beam switch on the floor. If you have higher-powered headlights for increased brightness, replace your '68 headlight switch with a '69 switch to solve the problem.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Thought the relay was in the switch? Its new. Did it with the old one and the new repro (NPD).

Stock style headlights, but Oz style (dip opposite way). Will swap out the foot dimmer switch and see if it makes a difference. But what's a "69 style" NPD and most other shops I looked at list 13A024 as 65-73...??

62065.jpg

(image courtesy John's Mustang, Houston - http://johnsmustang.com/)

Or are you talking about the dash headlight switch?

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Looked at the lights, PO had halogens. Repalced them with sealed beams and the problem was still there, but did not happen as fast.

Srcrounged around in the garage and dug up one of the spare dimmer switches (glad I buy a few extra odds and ends when I order from NPD, figure a few extra small parts in a big box is good insurance and it paid off today!).

Installed the new dimmer and all seems good, a few minutes on and no loss of lights. Will test a bit longer tomorrow, but looking good.

Thanks for the tips! :cool:

DeadStang

Looked at the lights, PO had halogens. Repalced them with sealed beams and the problem was still there, but did not happen as fast.

Srcrounged around in the garage and dug up one of the spare dimmer switches (glad I buy a few extra odds and ends when I order from NPD, figure a few extra small parts in a big box is good insurance and it paid off today!).

Installed the new dimmer and all seems good, a few minutes on and no loss of lights. Will test a bit longer tomorrow, but looking good.

Thanks for the tips! :cool:

Glad you got it fixed! I had a car whose lights would fade out randomly like that, and if I hit the dimmer switch on the floor, they would come back on...it was "disconcerting," to say the least, but I'm obviously still alive to tell the tale, lol. Another pile-o-1970 Mach I had, had the high intensity headlights; the headlight switch would overheat and trip the breaker inside the switch and the lights would go out. It got worse and worse the longer you tried to drive as the switch retained the heat and the breaker kicked over within seconds rather than minutes. Installing a 1969 headlight switch solved that problem as the 1969 switches are heavier-duty for the set of 4 headlights, rather than the standard 2 of most Mustangs. Apparently, sticking a '69 switch in the earlier Mustangs is a common and easy fix for using the better headlights without installing external relays.

Maine gt/cs

I had the same problem with my headlights and found the problem was a bad ground where the headlight plug plugs onto the headlight. I noticed a little rust on the prongs on the headlight and purchased 2 new headlights and cleaned the plug that plugs onto the headlight with a electrical spray cleaner. The lights are working just fine now without any problems.

rvrtrash

I guess I'm surprised that a '69 switch would have a higher amp rating because it's "4 headlights". The 2 headlight system has 2 elements in each bulb. With 4 headlights, you just move 1 element to it's own housing, but the element itself stays the same. It might just be a case of variances in the trip point, which you get with any circuit breaker. The right answer is, if you are going to run higher demand lights, like halogen, or have resistance built up in your wiring harness, because it's old, oxidized and has corrosion on the terminals, you should install a seperate relay to handle the load. The dimmer switch is just that, a switch. If the contacts in it are corroded or oxidized, it will act as a resistor and increase the load on the breaker in your headlight switch. Of course, if the contacts aren't making, you won't have any lights at all. I hope this clarifies everything, and as always, it's just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it. :wink:

Steve