• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Shelby Green Hornets to be for Sale

case12

I noticed in the latest Shelby American magazine (pg 46) that it appears someone has contracted with Carroll Shelby to build '68 and '69 Shelby continuation cars, including the Green Hornet. Here is the quote (with picture of the Green Hornet).

"Not enough Shelbys to go around? SAAC member Barry Smith of Roaring Springs, PA decided to do something about that. He sat down with Carroll Shelby and when they got up they had an agreement; Smith would build a couple of hundred '68 and '69 Shelby continuation cars. The first ones were based on the '68 EXP500 "Green Hornet" twin-Paxton notchback."

Remember, Paul Newitt helped find the original Green Hornet, and it was built from a California Special pulled from the line (if I have my history right). Casey

P

PNewitt

Here we go again.

You should read Matt Stone's comments in this month's "Motor Trend Classics" magazine about these "continuation cars". He calls it like making grape juice and calling it wine.

About the GH:

--It never had "twin paxtons"., it had a 428CJ with Conelec fuel injection by use of a custom carb.

-- Martin Euler reproduced the IRS suspension; and I hope that his design isn't copied--or at least that he is contacted as a consultant--or (I feel) that the GH repros may not be "faithful" to Fred Goodell's original engineering.

--I would be careful about how--for the first time--there will now be a demand for good CS (and HCS) coupes to build these GH cars. Just like how Unique has been looking for '67 and '68 fastbacks to build GT-500-E cars. Your CS might be sought after to do these cars. I'm not sure how this will affect values of the CS with this announcement, but we'll see. I'll be contacting this company to see what they have to say about it.

Paul N.

njmop

A 68 Coupe is a very common car. Why would they have to hack up our CS/HCS's to make these retro beasts? Any coupe would do. This might put our cars more on the radar though...
:-\

P

PNewitt

If you're charging something like $60-80K for a Green Hornet type car, getting a CS will help you out a lot. No need to modify the rear end, or look for the fiberglass--which is "original", and not repro. You'd also get the wiring harness, and T-Bird lights, etc.

Picking up a GT/CS for $5-8K would include about $1-2k worth of "real" Shelby parts, and exclude the time and labor to build (and align) the rear end parts on a "stock" '68 coupe.

Maybe they will also offer a Little Red repro, too.

Paul N.

390cs68rcode

[quote author=njmop link=board=1;threadid=2363;start=0#msg16434 date=1131566952]
A 68 Coupe is a very common car. Why would they have to hack up our CS/HCS's to make these retro beasts? Any coupe would do. This might put our cars more on the radar though...
:-\
[/quote]

maybe they see them as originals and all the bodywork is there since the green hornet was a CS to begin with?

Mustanglvr

My Highland green GT/CS would have the right exterior color. What color interior did the Green Hornet have? Mine is Saddle brown.

Mosesatm

In the pictures I've seen it looks green. Green or saddle.

mmarsalone

Those who sell their CSs to be used for these continuation cars will only increase the values for those of us who will keep our cars. There will be fewer originals left. ;D

OP
OP
case12

case12

[quote author=Mustanglvr link=board=1;threadid=2363;start=0#msg16440 date=1131582766]
My Highland green GT/CS would have the right exterior color. What color interior did the Green Hornet have? Mine is Saddle brown.
[/quote]
Per Paul's article in 1994 Mustang Monthly about the Green Hornet, the interior was Ivy Gold. Casey

Mosesatm

[quote author=Mustanglvr link=board=1;threadid=2363;start=0#msg16440 date=1131582766]
[/quote]

Here is a fairly poor picture of the interior.

Last edited: